Chapter Sixteen

I had never run so fast in my life. I was completely out of breath but I pushed myself through. My whole mouth and throat were dry, my face was slowly turning the colour of a tomato.

I reached the Governor's office. The usual reception lady was say just outside his door.

"He's not here Elise, he's just nipped out" she spoke.

"Let me into his office, it's an emergency" I said panicking.

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that Elise, you'll have to wait until he returns" she spoke again.

"No, a man's life depends on this, you must let me in" I said, maybe my plan wasn't going to work after all.

"A man's life? Who?" she questioned.

"Look, you let the Governor have inmates in there alone all the time... building sculptures and god knows what else... I just need to use the phone, and the number I need is in there!" I said, almost begging for her to let me past.

"Who's life is on the line here?" She said, slightly more stubborn than before.

"Lincoln Burrows" I said.

"Oh my, such a kind soul Mr Burrows, and his younger brother too, such lovely boys" she started, her cheeks beginning to flush.

"Yes, and Lincoln is innocent and they're about to kill him unless you let me into that office right now!" I said, slamming my fist onto her desk. She stared back at me in shock. She quickly opened the door allowing me in. Finally.

I dashed around the office, sifting through hundreds of prisoner files and records. I couldn't find Lincoln's or Michael's anywhere.

I opened up a filing draw, rummaging through. I saw Tea Bag's file and paused, I lifted it out slightly, reading his name 'Theodore Bagwell' scribbled on the front. I briefly flicked through it, and then I saw him. A small passport size photo of my dad's handsome face. I was instantly reminded of what Tea Bag had done to my father.

"Please help me Dad, help me do this" I said to myself. I ran my finger over the picture in awe before I popped the folder away. I decided to check the Governor's desk next. Bingo.

There they were, in the top draw of the desk. Michael and Lincoln's files. I opened Lincoln's and quickly skimmed through the contents. I found a document regarding Lincoln's court hearing. I ran through all of the names of the people that were there.

'Veronica Donovan - Lawyer'

That's who I needed to contact. I jumped onto the Governor's computer and searched her name in google. Luckily it came up with her work profile and her contact number was there.

I punched the number into the phone and listened to the dial tone anxiously...

"Hello?"

"Hi, is that Veronica?" I spoke quickly, please be her...

"Yes, speaking?"

"Ah great, hi, my name is Elise Moretti, I'm a prison officer at Fox River State, I need your desperate help" I began.

"Is this regarding Lincoln Burrows?"

"Yes, he is about to go in for his execution, I've spoken to Michael and he has made me aware of his innocence, is there anything we can do to stop this going ahead?" I said.

"Honestly Elise, I have been trying for months to get this execution stopped, I don't know that anything we can do is going to help with so little time left?"

"Come on there must be something?" I said desperately.

"I've tried Elise, I've even got some new evidence to support his case but the courts won't listen to me"

Bingo

"Seriously? What evidence?" I asked.

"We have reason to believe the man he supposedly murdered is still alive... every time I try and put my evidence forward they don't listen to me, it's so frustrating it's like the state just want him dead"

Veronica began to sound very upset, I couldn't believe my ears. This was no longer just an execution, there was a whole plot to this. The state wanted Lincoln killed. And I needed to stop it.

"Leave this with me, I have an idea" I said.

-

Michael Scofield's POV

"You ok Mike?" said Lincoln as I peered out of the small window in the door of this room.

"Umm, yeah sorry I was just..." I didn't finish my sentence, my brother was minutes away now from being taken to his execution and now Elise has gone? Where was she?

"You can still get out of here you know" he said.

"But what's the point, I came here for you... I have nothing more to live for on the outside" I mumbled. I felt Lincoln walk up beside me and rest his hand on my shoulder.

"You're going to get out, and when you do... take the girl to dinner" he smiled at me, his eyes full of sadness. I smiled back at him slightly.

"You know huh?" I said.

"I think I know when my own brother likes a girl" he joked.

"She hates me though Linc, she thinks I lied to her... well I kind of did but I just didn't want to involve her... she's so kind to me and absolutely stunning, a girl like that will never want to be with a guy like me..." I said.

"I think she'll surprise you" he said.

As he said this an officer came into the room.

"Gentlemen, it's time. Mr Scofield please step aside" he ordered. Another two officers came in and handcuffed Lincoln.

"No, no please, we haven't had enough time" I said.

"Michael, it will be ok" Lincoln said, tears brewing in his eyes.

"I'm not ready to lose my brother" I said again, I could feel my body shaking with panic, my skin was wet with sweat, I couldn't breathe. I felt so short of air, like I could pass out any second.

I watched as they lead Lincoln out of the room. Everything went blurry, someone else walked into the room, I squinted my eyes, my lungs gasping for air.

Small.... blonde hair.... eyes... piercing blue eyes...

"Michael!" Elise grabbed me just as I felt my legs give up. She held onto my hands tightly, I suddenly felt slightly more alive again. "Breathe, I'll get you some water" she spoke.

I sipped the water, she gazed at me, a worried expression on her face.

"We need to go to the viewing booth now, are you sure you want to do this?" she said, I nodded at her.

She linked her arm with mine, so it looked like she was escorting me, I felt her squeezing my arm with affection. I just wish I was allowed to kiss her, what did I do to deserve her?

She sat me down in the viewing booth, sitting beside me, appearing again to be supervising me, yet her hand was wrapped in mine.

There was a large glass window in front of us, and behind it was the electric chair. I felt my stomach churning, fighting back my tears.

I watched as Lincoln was dragged over to the chair. I glanced away looking at Elise. She kept looking at her watch and her right leg was shaking, as if she was impatient or waiting for something? This seemed strange to me so I pulled my hand out of her grasp and crossed my arms.

A few other 'official' looking people joined us, I watched as they strapped Lincoln arms and legs to the chair, he was shaking and full of fear, staring straight at me.

A wet sponge was rested on Lincoln's head. I was hysterically crying to myself at this point, I really didn't want to watch this.

This was it.

An innocent man was about to be killed, my own brother, at the hands of the law.