Chapter Five

I took a few days off work, I needed some space after everything that happened. I agreed to sign myself up for the prison guard counselling sessions. Just to help with my mental health while I was on the job.

My first session was today before my shift started, I arrived at work and headed straight for the infirmary.

I sat on the row of chairs in the hallway, waiting for my psychiatrist to arrive. I saw a few inmates being escorted in and out of the building for their medical appointments.

I looked up to see a familiar face. It was Michael walking past, escorted by an officer. I was actually so happy to see him again. They both paused in front of me, Michael's soft blue eyes locked on to mine.

"Elise, there seems to be a disturbance in room 6, think they need a hand in there, can you please keep an eye on Scofield until I come back" the officer says to me.

"Please take a seat Mr Scofield" I said, standing up, giving him a slight smile. It was so hard to act professional around him. Michael grinned back at me and took my seat. The officer quickly disappeared down the hallway.

"I'm glad to see you" said Michael. I could feel myself blushing.

"I needed to take a few days off" I said.

"You fascinate me Elise, so brave to come back here after what happened" he said calmly.

"I fascinate you?" I repeated his words back to him.

"Yes, and I know I fascinate you too" he smirked. I felt flustered, he knows I like him. Act cool, Elise, act cool.

"I can tell you're one of the good guys in here" I said, I stared down at my feet in attempt to hide the fact my face was red.

"I'm just here to do my time and get out" he replied, "I wish my brother had more time"

"I'll get Lincoln on PI for you, I promise" I said, he smiled sweetly at me and then began staring at his tattoos on his arms.

"He's innocent you know" he said, "he was set up, I just hope our lawyer can gather enough evidence to prove it before it's too late"

His story touched me. The fact he felt confident enough to open up to me. Any other inmate, I would have assumed he was lying. But I believed him. Lincoln was innocent. 

"Wow, I had no idea. I hope your lawyer can save him" I said, I quickly looked around, no one was watching me. So I sat beside him.

"Me too" he mumbled, I could see his eyes looking at me, scanning my whole body from head to toe.

"Thanks for telling me about Linc... and thank you for looking after me the night of the attack. I... I can't believe you stopped my panic attack... no one has ever..." I began.

"Shhh, I know, you don't need to say it" he said, turning to face me now. I studied his face, it was the perfect symmetry. "Come and meet me later... I'm helping the governor this afternoon, he goes out on a call around 3pm so I'll be there in his office... tell the guards at reception you're escorting me back"

"I'll try my best, I think I'm on the phsyc ward again this afternoon" I said, I felt a little nervous. Why did he want me to meet him there? I was intrigued.

"You got this" he said, winking his left eye. Before I could speak a nurse came out to collect Michael for his consultation.

3pm... I repeated the time in my head.

-

I looked at my watch, 2:55pm... I spied one of the guards on my shift. Right, here goes nothing.

"Oww" I said, gripping my belly. "Hey, do you mind watching my post, I'm not feeling well"

"Oh yeah don't worry I got it, you take care now" the guard said with a smile. Wow, that was easy.

I dashed out of the psych ward, past the yard and towards the governor's building. I smiled to myself. I felt like a naughty school girl sneaking around.

I arrived at the office and saw a guard stood outside the door.

"I'm here to escort Scofield back to his cell" I instructed. The guard looked confused.

"I'm supposed to be taking him at 3:30" he replied

"Yes, I've been told to take over, Officer Bellick's orders, I think he needs a hand down in the psych ward?" I said sweetly, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Hmm, okay I'll go check it out... the convict is inside on his own, guard the door, governor told me to take him back at 3:30" the guard replied as he stepped away from the door. Yes, it worked!

I took position outside the office door and waited a few moments. The coast was fully clear. I turned around and opened the door, Michael was inside stood over a large wooden structure.

"I knew you'd come" he smiled and rushed over to me.

"Well someone's got to supervise you haven't they" I joked. Wonder why he brought me here.

"So I've been building this with the governor for his wife, it's the Taj Mahal" he said proudly. I slowly walked over to the sculpture, it was amazing, every little detail had been planned.

"Michael it's amazing, how did you do it?" I said

"Well I'm a structural engineer, I built models like this all the time" he spoke.

"You're so talented" I smiled. There's so much I now wanted to know about him, he's a complete mystery. Michael slowly walked over to me. "So... how comes you asked me here today?" I began.

"I enjoy your company" he said. I smiled at him, he was so sweet with his words. He makes me forget everything when I'm around him, all my anxiety and worries are non existent.

"I don't usually, make friends with inmates" I said.

"I don't usually, make friends with prison officers either" he replied, moving even closer towards me. I felt butterflies in my stomach. He gently brushed his hand across my cheek. "Your bruise is healing well, you still looked beautiful even when you had it"

My heart began pumping in my chest, I can't believe he just called me beautiful. The more I looked in his eyes the more attracted I was to him. I gently stroked his arm, tracing along his tattoo.

"I like your tattoos" I said slowly. I could feel a tension between us. He smiled and tucked my loose hair behind my left ear.

"I designed them myself" he whispered to me. He leaned his face closer. I could feel his warm breath against my cheek. I felt his hand grip my waist, pulling me into him, his body was warm and firm.

"Michael, we shouldn't" I breathed.

"I know"

His lips pressed against mine.