Chapter Eleven

"I can't just put you on the high security cells without the appropriate training Elise" said the governor. Great, doesn't look like Michael's plan to see me is going to work after all.

"Appropriate training? Boss, I've been in the prison service for 10 years now, I used to work on maximum security back in Florida, what more do I need to know?" I answered back.

"I know Elise but those inmates in there are not like anyone you've faced before... I cannot let you keep getting hurt" he said kindly.

"If this has anything to do with you keeping me safe because 'it's what my father would have wanted' then you clearly didn't know him well enough, he would always encourage me to challenge myself" I said. The governor sighed and he glared at the floor avoiding eye contact.

"You remind me so much of him... very strong, very willing..." He spoke, looking back up at me. "I'll give you a night trial tomorrow night, prove me wrong and I will let you start working a few shifts in there, how does that sound?"

"I won't let you down boss" I said, shaking his hand. I'd done it, twisted the governor around my little finger as per usual. After thanking him, I headed out of the office, I had a huge day ahead of me tomorrow. My first night shift in the high security block, and the first shift I might actually get to spend some time with Michael.

-

I lay at home in bed clock watching, I was anxiously waiting for my night shift. I spent my day napping and watching girly movies, working various shift times can be very tiring. I finally decided to get up and ready, I applied slightly heavier make up than usual as I wanted to look nice for Michael. In a way, I still couldn't believe what I was doing, I was literally having a little love affair with an inmate, the thought of someone finding out made me feel sick.

I finally arrived at work, it was 9pm so it was already dark outside. I locked my car and slowly headed towards the maximum security cell block. I felt butterflies in my stomach, I was so nervous to see Michael again. I couldn't believe the last time I saw him he was pretending to attack me just to get in here. Crazy.

"Evening, I'll be assisting your shift tonight, Gov said you might need a bit of guidance" spoke the talk guard that greeted me inside.

"I'm sure I can handle it" I smiled. I scanned around the block. The cells were extremely spaced out, one at the end of every corridor. I wonder which one was Michael's?

"It's usually pretty quiet, there's only 3 inmates in here at the moment, none of them really cause any trouble, tends to be an easy shift covering this place" the guard spoke again as he began to pace up and down, peering into each cell as he did.

"Okay, great" I mumbled as I also began to pace around.

"I finish my shift at 3am, the next shift isn't starting up until 5am so you'll be covering 3-5 on your own, got it?" He announced. I tried so hard not to smile, this was perfect. I potentially had two whole hours to chat to Michael.

"No problem" I replied, trying to keep myself together.

"Just call though on the radio if you need assistance" the guard spoke again before he wandered off towards the cells on the left. I decided to take to opposite side to him and peered into the first cell. I saw Lincoln sat on his bunk reading a book.

"Hey Elise" he spoke softly when he looked up and saw me.

"Hi Linc, how are you doing?" I replied.

"Michael is in the cell over on the left" Lincoln said calmly, I could see sadness in his eyes. I can't imagine what he must be feeling knowing he'll be on the electric chair only within a matter of days.

"Thanks" I said, I wonder if he knew about me and Michael. I suddenly remembered the incident out in the yard when Michael pretended to attack me. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach with nerves to see him again.

A while passed as I slowly paced around the cell block, I passed the other guard with a brief nod as I headed towards the cell down the left corridor. I bit my lip. As I reached the door I peered inside.

There he was. It was just like I was seeing him for the first time again. His captivating blue eyes met mine, his cheeky smile grew wider on his face. I could honestly say, in all my twenty six years of life, I had never seen a man so beautiful.

"You made it" he said as he came up towards the latch in the door.

"I have my ways Mr Scofield" I grinned.

"Oh, you definitely do" he joked back at me.

"So, the attack in the yard?" I began.

"It was part of a little plan of mine... well, I needed to finally have a chance to get to know you" he said kindly.

"Get to know me, eh? You must know everything about me after reading my private records!" I joked. He laughed back at me, his laugh made me melt inside, how is he so perfect? I could hear the guard begin to walk back this way.

"Come back to my cell at 3" Michael said quickly, realising our conversation needed to be cut short.

-

"You sure you'll be ok alone?' The guard confirmed with me before he left.

"Yes, like you said they're pretty quiet in this part of the prison' I said smiling.

"Well, here's the cell keys for emergencies only, use your radio if you need it, and John will join you again at 5am" he spoke.

"Got it" I said, taking the cell keys from him. He left slowly and I stayed put for a while, I wanted to make sure the coast was completely clear before I go and see Michael again.

I headed towards his cell, he was already stood waiting for me.

"So, what do you want to talk about, tell me about yourself more?" I said cheerfully. Michael didn't say anything to start with, he just stared back at me.

"I wanna do more than just... talk" he said.

"Umm more than just talk? What do you mean?" I said confused. He grinned a little.

"Come into my cell" he spoke.

"Oh Micheal, I couldn't what if someone saw me opening your cell?" I said.

"No one will come, trust me" he said "open the door".

I felt myself shaking as I found the key on the chain to his cell. I quickly and quietly opened the door, I felt his warm hand grab my shaking palm.

"Don't be afraid, take this chance..." he smiled, holding my hand firmly. I stepped into his cell and gently closed the door behind me.

"This is the riskiest thing I've ever done" I said with a little nervous giggle.

"We can make it even riskier if you want" he said confidently. He quickly snaked his arms around my body and pulled me close to him.

And then, he kissed me.