Chapter 5

Peter and MJ then got out of bed and sat on the floor as they told the story of the photo while MJ got out two of her toys to tell the tale.

"We went to go camping," Peter explained as he saw MJ go along with his words with the dolls in her hands, "And we set up the tent and fireplace near a river and a clearing in the trees with a beautiful view of a mountain. While we were camping, we made s'mores and told tales to each other and fished for a short time, MJ growing impatient," the group giggled as Peter continued, "And when we started getting ready for bed, we heard a noise outside the tent.

"MJ got scared and hid under the covers as I grabbed the nearest thing and used it as a weapon which luckily was my pocketknife. I got out of the tent ready to attack when I say these cute little bunnies eating the leftover food on the ground. At first they were scared when they saw me with the knife but when I put it away, they got closer and they let me hold them. I got back inside and MJ asked if the monster was gone. I said no and she continued to hide under the covers until she heard the sound of a tiny sneeze. She came out and saw the bunnies and started holding one after the other until they were all on her. I laughed as she startled smiling widely at them and took the picture."

"That is a nice story, wouldn't you say MJ?"

Wade had noticed that midway through the story, MJ stopped moving her toys and listened but now she had a frown on her face.

"Hey, what's wrong sweetie?"

After a moment of silence, MJ spoke up.

"Why'd you leave out Mama?"

Wade sat there confused as he tried to remember Peter or MJ talking about "Mama" before but couldn't recall a thing.

"What's she talking about Pete?"

"Well-"

"I can tell him Papa, so you don't have to cry."

After a small argument between the father and daughter, Peter nodded sadly as he wrapped an arm around his daughter as Wade sat patiently in front of them.

"Mama and Papa were doing ok for a while, they smiled and we were a happy family. We had an amazing life for a while until when Mama started drinking. She drank these colorful drinks that made her act different and made her breathe smell weird. It was fine until she started yelling and throwing stuff," MJ's voice was starting to quiver but she continued, "Papa and I didn't like it but she didn't stop, when she started to hit Papa I told her to stop but Papa said it was ok, he was fine. It happened again and again until," MJ had a runny noise and tears leaving her eyes as she sobbed, "Mama starting hitting me and she told me bad things and made me do weird things."

MJ started sobbing uncontrollably as Wade pulled her into a hug and cradled her, telling her it was all gonna be fine. As he did this, he looked over at Peter and saw that he was silently crying too and Wade immediately wrapped an arm around his waist as he pulled Peter to him. As Wade was in this position, he felt bad for the both of them and holded them tighter, wanting for all that pain to go away.

As they started quieting down and Peter and MJ told Wade more stories not involving the mother, they all heard a clank from somewhere in the apartment.