The Pale Receiving

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Before she could even utter a word, her father shouted, "He's gone with her!" Panicked mutterings followed, and she heard her father pacing roughly around what she presumed was the funeral home. If he was raking his free fingers through his hair. "Your mother! ... I ... I ..." Her father fell silent, and the quiet made her all the sicker. (F/n) couldn't speak either, and Ether didn't move since he had heard every word too.

Her entire hand shook, and she barely held onto the phone. "... Dad," she finally muttered, "... how?" It was all she could manage, and she was thankful that she was sitting at the time. Otherwise, she might've collapsed.

"What?!" he asked in a worried state as if his mind had processed her words into something horrible given the situation he was in.

"How?" she repeated, trying to be calm for him, but she nearly stuttered the single word out.

"... I ..." She heard something slide back roughly. He must've collapsed onto a chair. "We were just sitting down for breakfast after your call and planning your arrival here with everyone. We had locked all of the doors and windows..." Her father took a sharp inhale before he exhaled. Silence greeted her for a moment before his voice returned. "We even had lights on even though you mentioned how those might not really work. We placed furniture in front of the main doors until we were ready to open."

She heard him sob momentarily before he swallowed another one. It sounded like the phone collided with the tabletop, and she heard more of his heavy breathing, which only was making her tremble more. It was hard trying to act somewhat calm when her father was breaking down before her, and she just had learned that her past tormentor had her mother.

"... I lost him, (f/n). I lost him. I have no idea where he took ..." Instantly, the phone went quiet again. She heard a chair being scooted back harshly and hurried footsteps.

"Dad?! Dad?!" she cried out into the phone, now immensely concerned herself. She couldn't help but stand up from her chair. "What is it?! Dad?!" No answer. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no," she couldn't stop repeating the word as her mind began to melt down. They were going to head to her parents today, TODAY! Why? Why? Why? That ... that ... that male couldn't have taken her mother and now her fa ...

"I found something!" Instantly, she stopped her muttering just as Ether was about to reach out and try and wake her up from her panic. She pressed the phone to her right ear like it was the last thing keeping her alive. Given how much she had sacrificed to make sure that her parents wouldn't be harmed, that probably wasn't too far from the truth. "A note!" His tone wasn't excited. Rather, her father's voice was filled with dread, terror and wrath. "... Check Nick's front door?" Confusion lived in his tone, but it clicked only a second later. "... (F/n)."

Eyes widened but also demanding, she snapped her optics to Ether. No verbal communication was exchanged. Instantly, Ether went to the room's door and threw it open. Almost, he tore it from the hinges. "Deidre!" he shouted. Only a few seconds later, he heard rushed footsteps.

Moments later, Deidre came bolting to the door. The urgency in Ether's voice was enough to alert the whole household. Ren and Chris opened their bedroom door, and Nick was waiting on the other side of his bedroom door to listen in on the situation without upsetting Ether. "What?!" she asked, seeming almost out of breath; her own worry causing her to be more exhausted than normal from going from the kitchen to the (f/n) and Ether's room.