Chapter 6

This is my way of saying goodbye

Because I can't do it face to face

I'm talking to you after it's too late

~ Radiohead "Videotape"

When Seth woke up that morning, he didn't know that it would be one of the worst days of his life.

The morning had started like any other. His alarm woke him up for school, he got dressed, brushed his teeth, and ate a bowl of cereal. Then his mom told him that if he wanted a ride to school, he should get in the car. So, he said goodbye to his father who was about to leave for work. Harry reminded Seth that he was working a shorter shift today, so he would see him when he got home from school. Then his mom drove him to school.

His school day had actually been pretty good. He had felt so lucky. He had a sub for first period, so they got to watch a movie instead of taking notes like they usually did. The kid who sat next to him in English gave him a free can of soda— the vending machine had accidentally dropped two, much to Seth's benefit. He had a great conversation with his friends at lunch. He had gotten to see Brooklyn, even if she seemed a little under the weather. The highlight of his day had been when he made her laugh. She was so beautiful when she laughed. All he had done was make some dumb joke about turning off her lights, but that had been enough. He loved that he could make her smile with his stupid comments. He loved her so much.

It was after school when things started to really go downhill. First, Leah had forgotten that she was supposed to pick him up, so he had to walk home, which totally wasn't a big deal— until it started to rain. Seth liked the rain, but he hated the squishy sound his shoes made when they got too wet and the way that it seemed to chill him to his bones. The entire walk home was filled with squish squish squish every time he took a step. Luckily, his house wasn't that far from the school. That was one of the best things about living in such a small town like La Push— nearly everything was within walking distance.

It was when he got home that his day completely turned to shit. He walked into his house to see his father on the floor with a giant gray wolf standing over him. A fucking wolf. Seth wasn't sure how to react, but he definitely didn't expect what came next. His heart started pounding and his body began shaking uncontrollably. And then he exploded.

Well, not really, but it really felt like he had at the time. There had been a popping sound, and then Seth was on his hands and knees on the floor. At least he thought he was. When he looked down he didn't see hands or knees. He saw four giant sandy paws. What the fuck was happening to him?

Oh my god...

Great, now he was hearing voices in his head. Wait. He knew that voice.

Leah? Can you hear me too? What the fuck is happening?

He could hear the sound of an animal whimpering. Wait, was that him?

I don't know, she panicked. Dad is dead. He's fucking dead.

It was then that Seth fully realized what he had walked in on. His dad was dead. He couldn't hear a heartbeat coming from his dad's body. He could hear his own, and he could hear Leah's, but he couldn't hear his dad's. That's when Seth started really panicking. He had to get out of here.

The whimpering he had heard earlier turned into yelps— his yelps. He couldn't stop. They got louder and louder until he was sure he was going to lose his voice, or permanently damage his and Leah's hearing. This had to be some sick nightmare. He would wake up any second.