Chapter 35

Fuck me up

On a spiritual level

~ Alison Wonderland "Happy Place"

"Are you sure you're alright with this?" Brooklyn asked Seth as she put on her mascara. "I don't have to go if you want me to stay."

"We'll be fine," Seth said. "Stop acting like I've never taken care of my kid before— I got this. I can handle things without you for a few hours. Besides, Shawn is your best friend. You should say goodbye before he leaves. Just be safe, alright?"

Brooklyn nodded.

Shawn had, finally, graduated high school, and he was on his way to Colorado to attend college. He was set to leave in about a week, and tonight was his going away party.

The vibration of the music could be felt from halfway down the street, and Brooklyn felt a grin creep onto her face. She couldn't help it— this was her first time at a real party since Ellie happened. She didn't count the wedding as a real party since she had been caring for Ellie for most of the reception, and Seth's mom had been there. This was her one chance to just... be normal again.

Brooklyn grabbed a cup full of a red beverage that smelled strongly of alcohol. By the time she found Shawn, Brooklyn her cup was nearly empty.

"Brooke!" Shawn embraced her. "I was starting to think you wouldn't make it."

Brooklyn grinned and took a gulp from her cup.

"Come on," Shawn began to guide her through the crowd. "You can be my partner for beer pong."

"Dude, I'm so out of practice," Brooklyn said. "And I'm already kinda drunk."

"It's cool," Shawn reassured her. "I'll be our ringer. I've never lost a game of beer pong."

After a lot of mediocre throws from Brooklyn, and just as many great throws from Shawn, they emerged from their game victorious. Brooklyn was really starting to feel the effects of everything she had drunk thus far. 

"'M gonna get a snack," Brooklyn slurred as she began to make her way to the kitchen. The room was swaying with each step she took, and no matter how hard she tried, she just couldn't seem to keep up with it.

"Ouch," she mumbled as the ground slipped out from under her. Luckily, she had already made it to the kitchen when she fell, and she reached up to grab a bowl off the counter. 

As she sat on the kitchen floor eating cheese puffs, she wished that Seth was sitting next to her, and sharing them with her. Brooklyn felt her eyes well up with tears.

"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up," she chanted as the phone rang.

"Brooke? What's wrong?" Seth's voice came through the phone.

"I miss you, and Ellie, and I want you to eat cheese puffs," Brooklyn rambled drunkenly.

"We miss you too," Seth replied. "Where's Shawn?"

"Dunno," she mumbled. 

"Where are you?" Seth asked through the phone.

"The floor," Brooklyn said. "You shoulda come to the party. I miss you and I have no one to dance with."

"Do you want me to come pick you up?" Seth asked.

"But you have to watch Ellie," Brooklyn reminded him. "I miss Ellie so much."