Chapter 13

It's lonely out in space

On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time

~ Elton John "Rocket Man"

Brooklyn was knelt on the bathroom floor, violently retching over the toilet. She had been woken up by a particularly awful bout of morning sickness. Unfortunately for Brooklyn, her morning sickness often remained throughout the day, but she usually didn't throw up like this. She hoped that the vomiting wouldn't be a new normal for her— it would surely make it more difficult for her to hide the pregnancy.

"Brooke, sweetie, are you alright in there?" she heard her mom call from outside the bathroom door.

"Yeah... I think I caught a stomach bug or something. My stomach is killing me," Brooklyn lied smoothly.

"Are you going to be alright to go to Harry's funeral?" her mother asked.

Crap. She had completely forgotten about that. Lately, she had been a bit preoccupied with other things.

"I don't think so," she said. "I'm sorry... I really wish that I could go and support Seth."

"It's alright," her mother assured her. "The Clearwaters will understand. Besides, I'm sure Seth knows that he can contact you if he needs you, and you could always go visit them when you're feeling better."

Seth hadn't needed her in weeks, and she wasn't so sure that he wanted her to visit him anymore. Surely he would've reached out to her by now if he wanted to see her... She just wished that she knew why this was happening. Her heart twinged at the thought. Brooklyn wished that her troubles were limited to boy drama, but she couldn't dwell on Seth too much because she had other things to worry about. For example, she has her first doctor's appointment this afternoon, and she was terrified. Brooklyn thinks that the stress of the doctor's appointment, plus the aforementioned boy drama, is causing her nausea to worsen. 

Afternoon came, and Brooklyn's stomach hadn't completely settled, but she hadn't thrown up in almost an hour, so she was hopeful that the morning sickness had passed for today. Her mom was still out at Harry Clearwater's funeral, so Brooklyn had the house to herself. She was waiting for Shawn to pick her up— he had offered to drive her to Forks for her appointment. She was relieved that he was so willing to help her because the Forks hospital was not at all within walking distance, and there was no way she was going into the La Push clinic that was in one of the busiest parts of town. She still didn't want anyone to know about the pregnancy, and she seriously wasn't ready for the judgement that would come if people saw her walking into the clinic. Maybe that seems paranoid, but Brooklyn was so not going to take any chances. Not with this.

The sound of a text message on her phone notified Brooklyn that Shawn was here. 

"Hey," she greeted as she got into the passenger seat of his car.

"Hi," Shawn grinned back. Shawn began driving to Forks, and Brooklyn stared out the window. She was so nervous—she didn't think she had ever felt this nervous before. It was just that, this appointment would make everything real. 

The car ride was silent, neither of them talked. Brooklyn watched from the window as the trees turn into the beach.

"Wait," she spoke. "Pull over for a second."

Shawn complied. "Why? What's up?"

She merely pointed in the direction of the cliffs. Shawn looked and saw Sam Uley's gang— one pushed another off the cliff. Then, two more of them were running towards the edge. Shawn recognized them.