Chapter 14

Just keep telling myself to live my life

Like everything else just keep on breathing,

You'll live

~ STRFKR "While I'm Alive"

Brooklyn came home from school to find Paul in the kitchen.

"Oh... Hey," she said. "I didn't know you would be here."

"Yeah, I'm coming back home," Paul responded. "I've been working on my anger management lately, and I wanted to apologize for how I treated you before. It wasn't cool of me."

"Thanks," Brooklyn said. She went to the freezer and grabbed a pint of cookie dough ice cream. It hadn't been her favorite before, but since she'd gotten pregnant, it had become the only thing she really wanted to eat.

"Are you eating ice cream now? It's like three in the afternoon," Paul laughed.

"So? Ice cream is too good to confine to a specific time of day," Brooklyn retorted as she scooped a big spoonful into her mouth.

"You're right that does actually look really good," Paul agreed. 

Brooklyn offered him a clean spoon. "Wanna share?"

"Fuck yeah I do," Paul grabbed the spoon.

They spent the rest of the afternoon together in the kitchen demolishing the pint of cookie dough ice cream and talking about random stuff. Brooklyn had missed her brother— this felt like a turning point for them.

"You know my dad invited me to stay with him this summer," Brooklyn told Paul.

"Really? Are you gonna go?" He asked.

"I haven't decided yet. It sounds kind of awkward," she said.

"Yeah," Paul agreed. Truthfully, Paul was kind of glad that his sister had the option to leave La Push— there were a lot of vampires that roamed the area because of the cloudy weather. He knew that her dad lived in Southern California, and the sun was almost always shining there. It had to be safer than Washington. "It might be good for you to get to know him better though."

"Maybe," she said. "I'm glad you're back at home, Paul. I've missed you a lot."

"I missed you too, Brooke," Paul pulled her into a one-armed hug.

That night, they ate dinner together as a family. Her mom was so happy to have her both of her kids home. This was the best day Brooklyn has had in a while.

Throughout the week, Paul didn't have any major outbursts— not like before. Maybe hanging out with Sam Uley had done him some good. Friday finally came, and Brooklyn was looking forward to the weekend. Being pregnant was really exhausting— she never felt well-rested anymore.

She had just entered the house when she was confronted by Paul.

"Brooklyn, why do you have prenatal vitamins?" Paul demanded showing her the bottle.