Chapter 9

Don't carry the world upon your shoulders

For well you know that it's a fool

Who plays it cool

~ The Beatles "Hey Jude"

Brooklyn was trying not to panic. She had gone to school today, but she hadn't been able to focus at all. She was worried that she might be pregnant. Late last night, the thought had entered her mind, and it refused to leave. 

She decided to skip soccer practice because she couldn't bear not knowing anymore. Instead of walking home, Brooklyn walked to the only drug store in La Push. She wished she had a car, so that she could go to a different town where no one knew her. She was worried that someone would see her buying the pregnancy test. 

The bell alerted anyone in the drugstore of her arrival. She hated that stupid bell.

"Brooklyn? Hey what's up?" she heard from the cashier's area. 

She turned her head and her wide eyes met Shawn's smiling face.

"Oh... Um, hey," Brooklyn said meekly. She had completely forgotten he worked here. Her mind was racing. Should she leave? She needed to find out, but if she bought a pregnancy test from Shawn then he would know. Oh god, what if Shawn told Paul? Brooklyn knew that they didn't talk anymore, but if her brother found out that she was buying a pregnancy test, then he would go ballistic. He would demand to know who the father was, and if he found out that it was Seth's... Brooklyn's mind trailed. She didn't even want to think about the things Paul might do.

"Do you need help finding something?," Shawn asked. Brooklyn hadn't moved since she entered the store. It was completely empty except for her and Shawn.

"Uh, no. I'm good," she replied lamely. She couldn't make her feet move. She felt as if she was glued to the spot.

"Brooke, are you alright?" Shawn was suddenly standing next to her. He placed his hand on her arm.

She couldn't do this. Brooklyn burst into tears.

"Oh shit," Shawn hadn't been expecting tears. He pulled her into a hug. 

"It's alright. You're gonna be okay," he said softly. "Here, come with me."

He sat her down on a stool behind the cashier's counter, and left briefly to lock the store's doors and flip the sign to alert any other possible customers that the drug store was not open. 

Then, Shawn walked to the back of the store.

"What are you doing?" she asked in between sobs. Her question was answered when Shawn returned holding a box of tissues and a bag of candy.

"Here," he said as he sat down on the counter. "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but I'm here if you do."

She wiped some tears from her face. "Can we just talk about something else right now?"

"Sure. We can do whatever you need us to do," Shawn assured her. 

"Are you going to get in trouble for closing the store?" Brooklyn asked. She didn't want to get him in trouble.

"It'll be fine. My boss probably won't even find out. Tuesdays are slow," he answered.

"Okay," she said. She was relieved to hear that. There was a pause, she could hear the sound of her sniffles filling the air as she attempted to calm down.