Chapter 4

Work crawled along slowly considering that it was a tiny little dance store, in a tiny little town, but every now and then there's the odd customer. I mainly just stand behind the counter so that it's less obvious to the people walking by that I'm dancing to the tunes that fill the store. The few customers that come in are parents with their young children, coming to get their first pair of ballet shoes and other requirements for the year ahead.

My last customer of the day is a little girl, about 4 years old, and her mother. I greet them with a small smile as they make their way over to me.

"Hi how can I help you?"

"We're looking for our first pair of ballet shoes." The mother says, as the little girl nods excitedly. I lead them over to the shoe area and tell the girl to take a seat. She tells me her shoe size and I pull out the appropriate ballet shoes.

"Here, we go." I say and put the shoes on her feet. "How do they feel? Fit like a glove?"

She nods quickly and I smile at her. "You want to try out some dance moves?"

Yet again she nods. I put my hand out for her, and she takes it hesitantly. I lead her over to the raised platform and put her hands on the barre.

"Okay, how about you give me a plié?" She does as I ask, her little face scrunched up in concentration as she tries to perfect the move. "Good job, now how about a turn?"

She does a turn, stumbling a little as she lands. "Very nice. How do the shoes feel?"

"Good." She says giving me a toothy grin.

"Well that's great, do you want me to wrap them up for you?" She nods eagerly and sits down to take them off.

"Thank you very much." I say as she hands them to me. I put them back in their bag, and then put that inside another. The mother pays and I hand the shoes over to the little girl. "Anything else?"

"Are you a dancer?" She asks quietly.

I let out a small laugh and nod. "Yes I am."

"Can you show me?" She says shyly, pointing over to the barre.

"Of course, what do you want me to do?" I say, walking over and placing my left hand softly on the wood.

"Can you do the thingy were you lift your leg up really high?" I smile and do an arabesque, lifting up my right leg behind me into an easy arabesque, with my back still straight up. The girl gawks at me and claps.

"That was really pretty." She says as her mother takes her hand and pulls her out of the shop. I give her a small wave, which she reciprocates. I step down from the stage and head over to the counter, preparing to pack up for the day.

"Excuse me Miss? Do you think this leotard will look good on me?" Someone says from behind me. I laugh, immediately recognizing Harry's slow voice and turn around to see him holding up a black leotard to his slim figure.

"Well sir, I think once your chest fills out it'll compliment you nicely." I pat his chest, emphasizing my words. "What are you doing here? You literally saw me a few hours ago."

"Pure coincidence." He says, slotting the leotard back on the rack.

"Really?" I question, raising my eyebrows.

"Really. I was out with a friend and I saw you doing your fancy ballet moves, which are very nice by the way, so I ditched and came to look for some leotards." While he says this, he pulls out a pink leotard and holds that up.

I scrunch up my nose in distaste. "Wrong colour the black looks better, suits your Instagram." He pokes his tongue out at me, and it reminds me of when I put scrunchies in his hair when we were 11 and told him he'd looked cute and he'd done the same thing.

"Well you've got to get out now anyway, it's time to close up." I say pushing him out the entrance. I close all the lights and then grab my phone and the keys. I pull down the rolling door at the front of the store and then crouch down to lock it. When I straighten up, I see Harry still standing next to me.

"Don't you have some friends you need to be with?"

"They'll find me. Anyway, since I've coincidently met you here, when are you free?" Harry asks, pushing his hands further into his pockets.

"That eager to get my friendship back?"

"Definitely." He says with a bright smile.

"Well, I'm free tomorrow, want to help me unpack some stuff?"

"As long as I'm with you."

I can't help but blush at his words, turning my head to the side so he doesn't see. Harry opens his mouth to say something but is cut off by a pair of arms wrapping around him.

"Harry, dude, why'd you just walk away like that? What's wrong with you?" Chris says, poking his head out from behind him. I remember him from when we were kids, he was one of Harry's friends in our year level, and we'd hung around briefly just because Harry and I were friends, but we were never close. A part of me felt almost annoyed that Harry was spending his time with Chris instead of me, although there's no one to blame for that but myself. Harry just shrugs and smiles at me. I roll my eyes in return.

"I'm fine."

"I remember you." Chris says, giving me a small smile. "Maddy, right?"

I nod in reply.

"Sorry to hear about your mum." He says, and the smile on my face falters a little, but I thank him. Sometimes it was easy to just forget that mum wasn't here anymore, that maybe she was just overseas, or on holiday for a bit, just enjoying some alone time. But then someone will say something and I'm forced to remember that I won't see her again. I pick at the edges of my jumper, ready to leave and go home and distract myself.

"Anyway, Harry I better get going. Nice seeing you." I give Chris a warm smile and then give Harry a hug. I relish in the feeling of his arms around me, hoping to god it won't be too long until I feel them again. Once he lets me go, I give him a small smile and say goodbye.