Chapter 12

The next morning, I wake up hot, unbearably hot, almost to the point of sweating. It's not until I go to kick off my cover that I realise it's not the blanket that's making me warm, it's Harry. I blink open my eyes to find that in my sleep, I've managed to entangle myself around him. I'm lying on my side, and he's on his back, his arm wrapping around me and resting on my waist. My head is on his chest and our legs are intertwined under the covers. I can't help but blush when I sit up slowly, trying not to disturb him from his sleep. He looks so peaceful and comfortable, a literal Sleeping Beauty, and I don't want to ruin that. For a brief second, a thought runs through my head as I glance at his lips, about how nice they would be to kiss, but I furrow my brow almost immediately. Where did that come from?

I slowly unentangle myself from him, trying my best not to wake him up, but also wanting to get out of there quickly to try and clear my head. My feet pad across the carpet softly as I walk into the ensuite, trying my best to stay quiet. I turn on the faucet and immediately splash water on my face, as though doing that will wash away the thoughts I've been having the past few days. As I cleanse my face, I remember how just yesterday I had thought of him when I was dancing with Ed, how even when I said I loved him last night I may have meant it more than he did. And now, this stupid thought this morning. I splash water on my face once more, rubbing a bit more harshly than I usually do, as though that might clear things up.

Surely, I don't actually ... feel ... these things for him. I mean, he's my best friend, that's all. Besides that, he's been AWOL for years, and now I spend a few weeks with him and all of a sudden, I'm in love with him? That can't be right. There must be something else at play here. It's been a while since my last relationship, maybe I'm just feeling a bit lonely, and Harry's just there, being sweet and considerate, and apologetic, and beautiful, and helpful, and lovely. I almost slap myself. This has to stop. I reiterate to myself that he is my best friend, nothing more. It would never work out, and it would only ruin everything that's just started to go right. Besides, I'm not really in a position to love anyone else, especially when I haven't been completely honest with him about everything. Subconsciously I tug at the long sleeves of my pyjama top, making sure they fall all the way to my wrists.

For a moment I look at myself in the mirror, watching the water drip down my face as I grip the sink and try to steel myself, but when I hear a rustle from the bedroom, my eyes snap to the corner of the mirror where Harry's reflection is twisting under the covers. I sigh as I watch him briefly, and then pull the face towel from where it hangs and rub my face vigorously, as though that will wipe away all of the feelings that have started to surface.

When I'm brushing my teeth, I see Harry sit up and rub his eyes. It takes him a moment to spot me but when he does, he beams at me, and I can't help but smile back, foam dripping from my lips. I spit the toothpaste out, rinse my mouth a little, and then turn around.

"Good sleep?" I say, walking back into the bedroom and jumping onto the bed.

Harry grins again, running a hand through his hair as though that'll smooth it down at all. "Best I've had in a while."

I bite my lip to stop from smiling giddily at the idea that sleeping next to me, eased Harry's night. "You got anything planned for today?"

"No." Harry frowns, as though he thought I was expecting him to have something special planned like he had every other day.

"Good." I reply and flop back down onto the bed. I'm excited to have a break, and some time to just do nothing after having work and rehearsals, as well as the added emotional toll of being around Harry, for everyday of the last week. I pull the covers back over me and a moment later, I feel the mattress jolt as Harry lies back down beside me. He looks over at me and I can't help but grin when I see the smile on his face. I curl over onto my side, so that I'm facing him, with my hands under my pillow, and he does the same.