Chapter Eleven - Fake Happy

Your POV

I left Jacky's house yesterday at about five. Today is the day I move to America and I haven't been in a good mood. My mom has noticed but I just smiled with teeth and walked off. Everything was packed and ready to go. Jacky was in school so last night was our final goodbye. His words echoed throughout my head all day: 'One day, I'll find you again. I promise I will.'. I haven't cried this much in so long. I kept the picture of us from prom in my pocket, knowing it was there hurt even more. I didn't want to think about it, but it was all I could think about.

"Honey, it's time." My mom said as I was sat on the front steps. I looked back at her with red, puffy eyes.

"Alright." I said putting the picture in my pocket and walking to the car. I was wearing his shirt that he let me wear the day I stayed over there and his black jeans he let me wear later that day. I got in the car as my parents friend drove us to the airport. We already had a house purchased in Los Angeles, California. I wanted to move to Tennessee but my parents didn't like it.

*At The New House*

I sat down on the floor in my new room with only a blanket from my carry on. I laid down and kept letting tears fall like I had at the airport, on the plane, at the next airport, and the way here. My first day at my new school is tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it. I cried myself to sleep with the help of jetlag, as well. I woke up to my mum coming into my room and yelling.

"Y/n/n, get up! Your going to be late for your first day." I groaned and sat up. I didn't even get a day to unpack so everything I had was still in boxes. I pulled on a black skirt, black button-up top, and my Mary Janes. I brushed my hair and teeth then grabbed everything I needed for school, including the picture.

"Bye mum! I love you." I yelled walking out of the door. I didn't put on any make-up which left my face red and my eyes puffy. I didn't care, never have before. I walked through the main doors of my new high school that I would be at for a month. I walked into the front office and up to the lady at the front desk.

"Hello, young lady, how can I help you?" She smiled.

"I'm the British exchange student." I didn't really know what else to say.

"Ah yes, y/n. Let me print your schedule and get the councilor to show you around." She stood from her chair and walked through a hallway. She came back a minute later with my schedule and the councilor. She showed me around the school then dropped me off at my first class. I opened the door to the classroom, immediately it was all eyes on me.

"You must be y/n." I nodded as he motioned for me to come over to him. "Class this is the new British exchange student. Please make her feel welcome. You can sit there."

I sat in the chair he pointed to and heard peoples whispers. The first day was hard and the first week, lunch was different, walking home was different. I still had no friends because of the way I looked. I couldn't wait until it was over.

*Eight Years Later*

It's been eight years since I moved away and it has been absolute hell. I have one friend, a shitty job, and too much time on my hands. I still keep the picture of me and Jacky in my phone case in hopes of seeing him again one day. I know this sounds extremely ironic but my best friend, Kairo, is dragging me to a haunted house. I haven't been able to step foot in one since I got here and I really didn't want to go.

"Come on we need to leave." He called from the bottom of the stairs.

"Damn mate, I'm coming." I said running down the stairs. He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the door. I locked the door and ran to his car. He unlocked it and hopped in starting towards the place. We jammed out in the car to a few different bands and cut off the music once we got there. We were really early so we could get in line first. We were the absolute first people there and I wasn't thrilled. Kairo noticed I was a little down.

"What's wrong?" He asked nudging me.

"Too many memories." I looked down at my phone to the picture.

"Hey think about it, what if you meet him again? Here at that." I looked up at him stupidly.

"He's probably still in Portsmouth." I said. We waited in line for two hours before they let us in. We showed them our tickets and we got to go through. We got some food before anything and sat down. We ate and looked into a few things before we went into the first place. We walked through getting jump scared a few times but nothing major. The second was average, not as bad as the first. The third was the worst so far because they actually got to touch you. But then came the fourth, we hadn't even walked in yet and someone jump scared up from around a corner. We walked in, the theme was vampires, and it was darker than the others. Not even two seconds in and I was screaming. Kairo was laughing at me which didn't help. Half way through the place me and Kairo were split into two different groups. All the memories of that night flooded through my brain. I was trying so hard not to cry that I wasn't paying attention. A guy popped out of a coffin making me jump backwards. I bumped into someone. This is all too much.