Chapter 1

Waking up next to Waverly is my favorite time of day. The way her hair sprawls out on the pillow like some sort of brunette tie-dye. I know that if I linger, I'll be late to the station, but her soft features are so captivating I can't help but maintain my space next to her. I gently place my hand upon hers and I begin to slowly rub the back of her hand with my thumb, feeling her warmth and gazing upon the ring on her finger. She stirs slightly and softly sighs, I quickly stop the motion of my thumb and attempt to hold my body still so I won't wake her. Her body settles and her breathing becomes even so I kiss her forehead as carefully as possible and exit the warmth of our bed.

I clip on my holster and head out to my cruiser. The cold air nearly takes my breath away and the snow makes a small crunch underneath my boots. The drive to the station feels the same as always but the thought that I would soon be returning home to Waverly, my wife, at the end of the day excites me and gives me a tinge of optimism for the upcoming shift.

I pull into the station, nodding at my deputy's and entering my office. This office always makes me smile, it reminds me of Waverly and her bucket list confessions. I begin to work my way through the mountain of reports created while Waverly and I were away on our Honeymoon.

As I hit about halfway through the files, I hear my phone vibrating. A smile spreads across my face as I open my texts:

(N)Hey you.

(W)How dare you leave without kissing me first.

(N)Waves, you were tired and I didn't want to disturb you.

(W)Sometimes I hate how lovely you are.

I can tell that she is currently smiling as big as I am, her words are pure sweetness.

(N)How did you sleep?

(W)I would've rather opened my eyes to see a certain redhead next to me, but I suppose I can forgive you since I will be seeing you in a couple of minutes.

(N)You're coming to the station?

(W)You sound disappointed.

(N)Not at all, just surprised.

(W)Nicole, we planned on having that meeting with Wynonna, remember?

(N)Shit, right. I can't wait to see you. I love you.

(W)I love you too sweetheart.

These reports are going to have to wait for another time. I try to freshen up before Waverly's arrival, reapplying my lipstick and spraying a touch of perfume. I stand up from my chair to greet her when I hear a familiar warm laugh coming from the lobby of the station, it still gives me butterflies.