Chapter 3

*AUTHORS NOTE*

Apologies for the long wait, the pandemic has created a state of constant working for me so finding time to update has been difficult. Thank you for being patient!

*END*

As we leave the meeting, I can feel how tense Waverly is and I hate it. It seems as though we are both silently attempting to figure out a happy compromise and we are both failing. 

"Hey, I love you, I'll see you at home when you get off?" Waverly smiles, but it doesn't quite reach her eyes. 

"Of course, I love you." I respond, giving her a kiss that tries to say don't worry, we will figure it out, but as she turns to leave it becomes obvious my words didn't quite reach. 

I return to my office and close the door behind me. I feel stuck and guilty, I feel as though I'm letting down not just Waverly but Wynonna, Doc, and Dolls, hell even Jeremy. Everyone that I love needs me to fight and yet I just can't seem to do it. I run my hands through my hair and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to remember happy thoughts from the honeymoon I just returned from, but nothing seems to ease the guilt deep within me.

I don't realize what time it is until my phone buzzes, I can tell by the rhythm of the vibration that Waverly is texting me, I glance at the clock and realize I've been so glued to paperwork that I was supposed to be home about thirty minutes ago. 

(W) Please tell me you haven't run away as a result of the meeting today. I'm so sorry.

(N) Waves I am so sorry I got caught up in paperwork, I'll be home soon. I love you.

The pit of guilt inside of me swells up again, I left her waiting and anxious. This day can't get any worse. I hurry to my car, boots slipping on the ice, snow falling from the sky. As I pull out of the station and start my drive home it seems as though I can't get there fast enough. 

As I pull onto the Homestead my mind goes blank. The door is open, the snow is red, and Waverly's coat is resting on the handrail.