The Council of Elrond

3. The Council of Elrond

Aragorn stood upon one of the public balconies, smoking his pipe in the warm, morning breeze.

"It is mine to give to whom I will…"

He smiled at the fond memory and his fingers distantly grazed the Evenstar pendant that had now shifted owner and hung around his own humble neck.

"…like my heart."

He had never been happier before in his life, or more troubled. By giving her pendant to him, Arwen had given up her immortality. That meant that she would live and die like one of the Men, and lose all chance of finding immortal peace with her kind. Despite this knowledge, Aragorn could not find it in his heart to stop smiling.

She had chosen him, over all others, and had proven her love to him, despite not having to prove anything. He had pondered what he could give her in return. Aragorn was no fool; he knew exactly what it would take of him to make Arwen as happy as she deserved.

Beyond the mountaintops far away, the sky was colored a rich deep red, with streaks of lavender and orange where the sun was beginning to rise on the heavens. It seemed to shine so warm and kindly, that Aragorn wondered if it was the Valar, shining for his and Arwen's love and giving them their blessing.

The scent of the heather caressed his nostrils softly and seemed to have reached a full blossom for it seemed so sweet and innocent to his nose. The gardens below the balcony were greener than ever before and the wind that rustled the leaves seemed especially cheerful, as it blew past and tried to breathe life into those few plants still not awake. Aragorn could not contain his smile and he wondered where his lady was this hour. Perhaps she was thinking of him as well.

"Ah, Aragorn!" a joyful voice sounded from his right. Aragorn turned and saw Gandalf walking towards him in the rising sunlight. "Just the Dúnedain I wished to see."

"Old friend," Aragorn greeted as Gandalf reached him. Even the wizard seemed to be leaning against his staff less heavily today. Gandalf passed the ranger a few steps and slowly took off his shagged, pointed hat. The elder man breathed serenely and leaned forward on the balustrade, putting his hat down by his side.

"It is easy to be deceived by the peace of the elves, isn't it?" Gandalf asked while keeping his eyes on the rising sun and on a few birds that flew in and out of their nest in a tree before them. "And still the war grows ever closer, even to these borders."

Aragorn remained silent. He had learned long ago from many years of being a ranger to wait. If a man wanted something said, sometimes silence could get the answer out of him quicker than other methods. He did not have to wait long.

"Lord Elrond told me last night that the Ring of Power cannot stay here." Gandalf glanced inconspicuously at Aragorn before clearing his throat loudly and extracting his own pipe. Aragorn offered his pipe so that Gandalf could light his own and the wizard accepted the offer mutely. He inhaled a couple of breaths until his pipe was alight and then handed Aragorn's back. Still the wizard was silent a few minutes and Aragorn wondered if the old man was attempting his trick of biding his time. Was Gandalf hoping Aragorn would talk if he remained silent?

"He is right, of course," the wizard said at last. "The Ring must be destroyed, I see no other solution."

Both watched as the father bird in the tree ahead, flew out of the nest to pick a small branch from the clinging plant that hung from the balcony. They remained silent until the bird flew back to where it had come from, its home and safe haven.

"The truth is, Aragorn, that the time of the Elves has passed. If we must place our trust in any race to take control of Middle Earth once more, it is Men."