Path Of The Dead

23. Path of the Dead

When they reached Dunharrow, the refuge of the Rohirrim in the White Mountains, Théoden quickly learned the number of warriors whom had come to fight for them; 6000 men. The king had not been the only one worried about this relatively small amount of competent men, Aragorn too realized that their strength would be greatly outnumbered by the forces of Sauron.

Concerned for this, the ranger had retired to his tent early that eve and had there remained until long past nightfall.

When the camp lay silent and most of the warriors had gone to rest, a loud horn suddenly broke through the stillness of the mountains. Most soldiers stepped out of their tents to watch the approaching riders to curiously learn who had broken their peaceful slumber. Aragorn exited his own tent as well and stood to join Théoden and Éomer who had stepped forth to meet the foreign company. The three men silently watched as the group rode up the winding path to the cliff-top.

"Are we expecting more soldiers?" Aragorn asked with a frown.

Théoden merely shook his head as he turned to the ranger. "I was under the impression that all who could be spared had already come. Or, at least, would not reach us 'til morning. This is beyond me."

The ranger squinted his eyes as the rider in the front finally reached the mount. A smile spread across his face for even in the dark he recognized the rider.

"I cannot believe the fortune we have," Aragorn said and smiled. Théoden and Éomer both turned their heads to him with matching looks of confusion.

"Do you know these men?" Éomer asked and turned his eyes back to the thirty or so riders that were almost upon them.

"They are the Rangers of the North, my people," the ranger breathed and stepped forward as the first rider hopped down from his horse. The two rangers embraced in a bear hug.

"Halbarad, it is so good to see you again, old friend," Aragorn greeted and stepped back to have a proper look at the man.

The leader of the rangers grinned back and nodded his head in agreement. He held out his hand to indicate the group of men as he spoke, "Aye, my lord. Lady Galadriel sent us a message and we hasted to come to your aid. Though, I am sad to report that these are all the men that could come."

Aragorn brotherly squeezed the man's shoulder as he felt hope surge within his hope again. "The mere presence of you has lifted my spirits, Halbarad. Even though the numbers are few you are all able warriors. You will be of much aid, old friend, in that I trust."

"Ah yes! The skill of the blade is something we are all well-versed in. Do you not agree, Estel?" A second rider spoke as he rode up, closely followed by a third. Aragorn gazed up at both in mute surprise as the two dark-haired elves grinned back down at him.

"Elrohir, Elladan, my brothers! You have come to aid as well?" Aragorn asked and a grin spread swiftly across his face as both elves jumped from their steeds to stand before him. Their faces were fair, though more grim and respectful like their father's than soft and gentle like their sister's.

"You did not think we would abandon you at this time of need, brother?" Elrohir asked as he hugged Aragorn, then stepped back so that Elladan could to do the same.

"I have no words to describe my joy of seeing you here," the ranger breathed and then turned to the two men of Rohan.

"My lords Théoden and Éomer, allow me to present Elladan and Elrohir, sons of lord Elrond and brothers of lady Arwen. And of course this is Halbarad, leader of the Grey Company, who has led the rangers this far."