Love And Loss

9. Love and Loss

Later that evening Arwen moved down the majestic staircase of the trees. She had spent the past few hours with her grandparents and they had talked of many things and she had been given a new travel outfit.

For the night in question, however, she was wearing a long pale, elven dress, which billowed around her as she walked. It had golden decorations by the neckline and along the trim of the long sleeves. The travel outfit for another day, she carried in a leather sack by her side. Her dark hair was out of its braid and flowed gracefully around her shoulders.

She inhaled contently and smiled faintly as a light breeze blew by. Arwen realized with a sigh how much she had missed the realms of the elves. Lórien was a second home to her and she had spent a great deal of time here during her long life span. Here in Lothlórien she had a chance to finally breathe, the fellowship's travels had stretched out over many a night and day and Arwen was unaccustomed to such travel. But she was not one to whine about it, this had been her decision and she had known about all the dangers from the start.

Still, she figured, she had been naïve to think that they all would survive the entire way to Mordor and back again. She repressed her saddened thoughts of Gandalf, he would not have liked for her or anyone else to be overcome by the grief of his sudden death.

Despite her best attempts, however, the very thought of death refused to leave the dark recesses of Arwen's mind. Her grandmother's words still echoed in her head and refused to leave her at peace. You will not remain by Aragorn's side. The two of you will be separated...

Arwen let out a breath and decided to let go of her troubles for one night and just enjoy life. She stepped down from the last steps onto the grass and smiled as it graced her bare toes, another simple thing of life she had missed.

Her keen elven ears picked up the sound of a silent discussion between Aragorn and Boromir; she heard the word 'Gondor' and could hear the reassuring tone in Boromir's voice. She wondered if the man wished for Aragorn to be king, just as everyone else wanted. Aragorn said not much but she could feel his indecisiveness and hesitation.

Carefree she started humming along with the elvish tune that played in the glimmering wooden realm, the voices sang of Gandalf and his many voyages and great bravery and she smiled at the memory of her friend. The others heard her humming and turned to look at her; it seemed to them like she was shining like a radiant star in the softest of lights. They felt their hearts lift by the mere sight of her and the hobbits realized that it was a form of elven magic. Merry and Pippin smiled at her as she placed her sack down next to them.

"Good evening, my lady," said Merry and Arwen returned the greeting. It pleased her to see her friends' faces carefree and rid of sorrow.

"My lady," Sam breathed and she turned to him, her silver eyes seemed to draw him into a comforting place and he found himself at a loss for words. She smiled serenely back at him and sat down gracefully on a root next to Pippin. Legolas, who stood silently to the side, smiled at her and she could feel his pain had not entirely evaporated yet. He too was listening to the elven songs and sighed serenely into the cool, eastern wind.

Gimli, who had been lightly snoring, suddenly woke. Upon seeing Arwen his eyes widened, and he sat upright in his bed. With a huff the dwarf stood up and walked closer to the others. As he did everyone could sense embarrassment in his movements, as if he was an overgrown child come to apologize for some mischief.

"Milady Evenstar," he grumbled and coughed lightly, "I hope you did not take any offence by my words earlier?"

Arwen frowned, "What words do you speak of, Gimli?"