Journey To The Argonath

11. Journey to the Argonath

The fellowship soon realized the advantages of having taken the river, as it not only saved them time but also protected them from watchful eyes. It, too, offered them some silence in their solace and so felt safer still. Though time was saved, their travel would still be about five days on the mighty waters.

Despite the overall feeling of a temporary safety, Aragorn never failed to remember Celeborn's words of warning and his eyes thus never left the shore in search of dangers. Thus far, after three days in the boats, he had seen nothing to indicate that the strange orcs were on their tail and the ranger could only hope their luck would last them the remaining days.

With gentle strokes of the oar, Aragorn rowed on when the sound of a morose sigh reached his ears. He gazed down at the hobbit in front of him and noticed how Frodo's shoulders slumped.

"Is something wrong, Frodo?" the ranger asked in concern.

The young hobbit glanced back over his shoulder and their was much anguish in his eyes as he replied, "I feel my sorrow returning. The serenity of the elves has now left my heart completely and grief is creeping back with great haste."

Sam, who sat by his friend's side, put his hand on Frodo's shoulder and encouragingly said, "Do not worry, mister Frodo. Gandalf is in a better place. Besides, we're on the right course now, you see, mister Frodo. Things are picking up. You will soon be rid of that burden of yours."

A small sparkle of something twinkled in the younger hobbit's eyes as he gazed at his close friend. "Do you really think so, Sam?"

"I hope so, mister Frodo," Sam said with a shrug. "Hope is all I can offer you."

Frodo smiled back at his friend, "Keep your hope, Sam. Promise me that. As long as we have hope we can do this."

Sam nodded and returned the warm smile, "I promise."

"Let hope be the last thing we lose," Aragorn muttered and his eyes returned to watch the shoreline.

The two hobbits noticed his apprehensive look, and cautiously Sam asked, "Is something wrong, Strider? You've been looking at the shores ever since we set out the day before yesterday…"

Aragorn heaved a sigh. For a second he hesitated whether to tell them the truth, but eventually caved in. It was better they learned this way. He lowered his voice as he replied, "There is a darkness following us in the woods. The danger cannot be denied."

"We're being followed?!" Sam asked as his eyes widened in fear. He too hasted to look at the shores but unsure what to look for, he soon turned back to the ranger.

"Is the river the safest place then?" Frodo questioned.

"We are earning days this way, hopefully we have earned enough time to outrun whatever follows," Aragorn answered vaguely.

"But… what if we have not?" asked Sam, who had very little trust in boats as it was. He glanced down at the still waters below and grimaced. "What if our enemies catch up to us when we are on the river? I cannot swim if need arise for it."

Aragorn looked away from the hobbits and pondered the question. Once more, he decided to be frank with his companions, "If they do attack us we could be in trouble out here. If they fire at us with arrows, there are few ways to escape but into the waters. We would stand little chance of making it out alive."

Frodo and Sam exchanged a worried look, finally the dark-haired hobbit looked up at their leader and said, "At least you are being honest with us. Let us hope we truly have earned enough time."