Complications

17. Complications

Arwen spent the rest of the night wandering close to Wellinghall under the pale moon. After her visions she felt no peace to rest and it was not until the first rays of morning poke through the branches of the ancient trees that the elf entered Treebeard's home.

Her eyes easily sought out the two hobbits who stood close to their host. In the hobbits' hands rested two small jugs containing a liquid Arwen had never seen before. Both Merry and Pippin smiled impishly up at her as she joined them. She looked them up and down and frowned in suspicion.

"Are my eyes deceiving me or has the two of you grown an inch or two?"

"No, what you say is true, elleth," Treebeard confirmed in his rumbling, slow voice. "They have had a sip of ent-draught to get invigorated."

"It is a mighty drink, Treebeard. I feel invigorated in more than spirit!" Pippin exclaimed. "I feel both happier and taller, it's double the fun!"

"I am glad to hear it, young hobbit... I think," Treebeard said and then turned once more to face the elf. "The two young gentlemen here have told me all about your journeys and I have decided I will support you in your quest. Meriadoc suggested we should stop Saruman and I have agreed to do what I can to enable such an adventure. I am aware what the wizard has done to my forest and I cannot allow such tormenting to continue any further."

"Thank you, Fangorn," Arwen smiled and glanced at Merry and Pippin who were comparing heights. The two seemed unable to agree over who were truly tallest. "Your support means a lot to us and I hope you are aware how much."

The large Ent bowed his head with a hum before he spoke once more, "I believe it is time. I have called for the other Ents and we are to meet them at Derndingle today. I think we had better set out now if we will make it on time."

Gently he picked up Merry and Pippin and placed them on his shoulder branches and together with Arwen, the Ent walked out of Wellinghall and headed even further into the widespread forest.

As they marched the sun rose higher on the skies and it seemed to cast away some of the shadows that hung over the trees. Still Arwen could sense the anger of the trees. They were weary and seemed hateful to many a things, much unlike their joy in former glory days. Much had changed as of late and Arwen only wished there was something she could do to help them, too.

Up on Treebeard's shoulder, Merry let out a burp that sounded suspiciously entish and Arwen laughed in good humor at this.

"I don't know about you," she called up to them as she ducked a branch and walked on. "but I would not dare to taste a drink I knew so very little about."

"Treebeard gave his word that it would be all right, and we did honestly not know that it would affect our height when we drank it!" Merry defended their decision.

"Well, I don't hear you complaining about your new height, my friend."

"Our growth was a bonus," Pippin grinned down.

"I do not see why you would need to grow any taller. You are hobbits, after all. You are short by nature," Arwen said.

"Aye, my lady," Merry agreed and pointed a finger down at her. "But how could you understand? You are already above average height of Men."

"I am an elf," she said with a shrug.

"It was harmless," Pippin argued. "We were invigorated and made slightly taller. I see no bad side effects to it."

His face suddenly contorted and he turned to the side as if to burp, but instead made another tree-like noise. At that moment, they passed by a tree which swung a narrow branch at Pippin. It slapped the hobbit hard across the cheek and Pippin drew back with a hand to his sore face.