Chapter 7 - Beginning

Datu Urrao, the ruler of Kedatuan of Dapitan, and his wife sat on a golden chair as they watched the performers dancing and prancing with the played kulintang, gandingan and dabakan. Beside the wife was Lisuga, the protector of their land and goddess of the stars. Not far from the chief was his two young sons, ten-year old Paglinawan and eight-year old Dumagan. Each of them have their own oripun (lowest social class) fanning them with an Anahaw leaf.

Everyone was clapping when the show ended.

"Is there anyone else who wants to please our god," the datu cried out.

Lisuga stood and spoke softly, "I would like to represent myself, Datu Urrao."

She streched her arms and feet and posed in the middle of the crowd. When the kulintang started to play, so as her body began to sway. She was floating gracefully from one place to another, and her long, sheer shawl was flying in the air and following the direction of her arms.

Everyone was amazed.

"Father, I want to marry Lisuga when I grow up," the youngest son uttered confidently.

Datu Urrao burst to laughter. "My son, love in an immortal world is against their code, so don't get your hopes high or it will kill you, unless you will get the approval from Kaptan."

"I will make Him, Father," he replied proudly.

Ten years later, Datu Urrao was already old and weak. He had to choose his heir before he'd pass away. Datu Paglinawan was chosen by the priests and priestesses, not only because he was the oldest, but because he was just and benevolent. He was beloved by the oripun. However, the timawa (feudal warrior class) preferred Datu Dumagan since he had joined many battles. He could slay five men in just few seconds. He could even fire arrows multiple times from afar without being missed. They believed that a leader should be more skillfull and more experienced so that he could defend the barangay during the invasion.

Both of them must undergo three challenges.

On the first day, the two brothers boarded in their own balangay boat along with their crew and whoever could bring home more gold and oripun shall earn one victory. Mangahat (sea raid) was one of Datu Dumagan's specialty and it was him who won in the first challenge.

For the next trial, the High Priestess suggested to put their faith to test and to see who was more favorable by the gods. Datu Dumagan caught a giant grouper and offered it to the gods, then, he prayed; however there was no sign of acknowledgment. Datu Paglinawan, who came last, did not bring anything from his forest hunt. Instead, he performed a ritual and gashed his chest against his dagger. Blood streaming down to his stomach. He filled it in a golden cup and prayed to the gods. The sky poured droplets of water forthwith, cleansing his body to heal his wound. The people rejoiced of his success.

On their last stage, the two brothers vis-à-vis in the middle of a rock platform atop the hill for swordfighting.

"I love you, Brother, but you know that I never accept defeat," Dumagan teased.

"I, too, Brother, but may the best man wins!" Paglinawan responded.

Dumagan was determined to win for he wanted to prove to the supreme god that he was creditable to be Lisuga's suitor. On the other hand, he realized that his brother was perisitent that even if he was getting bruises and wounds during their fight, he did not want to concede. Dumagan decidedly shifted his one arm leaving it open, and Paglinawan found the advantage and swung his kampilan (sword) towards Dumagan's head.

The people went silent and shocked in disbelief. The sharp edge of the kampilan was right next to Dumagan's head.

Dumagan forced to smile and said, "You won, Brother." Then he walked away.

For five days, Dumagan sulked himself in his hideout near a rock ledge, overlooking the sea. It was not because of losing a duel to his brother, but because he may not be worthy in the eyes of the gods.

"There you are. I knew you'd be here." Lisuga appeared. She was worried of him, but she did not know how to comfort him.

"Of course. Where do you think should I be?" He replied. "Unless your heart is unoccupied, I'd be overwhelmed to stay." He winked. He was trying to conceal his sadness from Lisuga and seeing her gave him hope.

She rolled her eyes and said, "You are still persistent even if you lost in the duel." Then she realized it was wrong of her to mention it to him.

Dumagan's face became serious and replied, "What matters to me now is loving you - and loving only you. No distractions. No responsibilities but you as my priority. It may sound selfish and thoughtless but you are my only reason of my existence." He paused and reminisced the time when he first met Lisuga. He smiled, "Besides, it doesn't matter if I lost in the duel as long as my will of fighting for you hasn't changed."

Lisuga giggled sweetly and lightened up his mood. "You never give up, do you? But I know you did it on purpose and I am impressed. It was chivalric of you to give way to your brother."

"Did I, the man who constantly pursuing you, finally have a chance to accept your hand?" He teased.

She gave a soft chuckle. "We should get going. Your brother is planning for another sea raid and they wished you to sail with them."

Before she could move away, he suddenly pulled her to him. Their bodies touched each other. She twitched.

"Please don't. Let me hold you for a while. I need it."

Lisuga just stood still and was not sure how to react, but deep down, she was feeling something that shouldn't be felt.

"I will do everything to be worthy of your love," he added.

Lisuga did not say a word.

Not for long, she stood aghast at the sight of her brother's arrival.

"Lisuga! What are you doing with him?"

She was speechless but Dumagan defended her. "Do not blame her. It was my fault. I made her stay."

"And who are you to order her like that?" Liadlaw replied with sarcastic smile. "You are just a mere mortal."

"I may be just a mortal, but I am willing to do everything to earn Kaptan's approval for Lisuga's hand," he sincerely declared his intention towards Lisuga.

Liadlaw laughed boisterously. "You must first have to get through us, her brothers, and prove to us that you have what it takes to be one of us."

"I would be honored to accept any of your challenges."

"Then sail to the East. You will meet one of the notorious pirates. If you could defeat him and his crew, then I will take you to our Grandfather."

"Then, it shall be done."