Chapter 15 - Sojourn

The sultan's torogan majestically stood at the center of the village. Its massive posts from tree trunks set on huge boulders. Above the posts were the end beams that projected like boat prows on all sides of the structure.   They were chiseled with a combination of pako rabong (growing fern) and naga (sea-serpent) okir designs. Then, at the topmost part of the building sat a thin apex flaring out to the eaves.

They entered the cavernous hall brimming with hanging, appliqué and embroidered adornments, and the sultan's bae greeted them warmly. She escorted them towards the elevated panggao (bed), where the sultan rested himself as if he was waiting for them to come. He was wearing an embroidered coat and a woven yellow malong skirt. "Ah, my friend, Dumagan! It is lovely to see you again."

When the supper ended, they went to an open space called lana or yard, and other commoners, too, were invited. There was a bonfire lit in the midst of the tribe and the sultan requested Dumagan to share his glorious journey.

Dumagan took the kutyapi and strummed few chords before every verse.

I was sailing far East,
And I happened to find my greatest bliss.
I, then, realized that I somehow adrift,
And it led me to a deeper rift.

I managed to turn and un-heed
Because it would only take me nowhere.
But I failed to hold on, to my dismay
And I landed to a dangerous mislay.

Now tell me what I should do,
If I do not wish to be called a thief
In an island I could not seize.
Even though it is what my sight always sees.

As he turned to check on Lisuga, he saw her tears falling. Then she averted her eyes and walked away from the crowd.

Lisuga's heart was already on a battlefield. Oh, this is terrible! I should not let myself be carried away by my emotions. But why do I feel like my heart for Dumagan is real?

She strolled at the lakeshore until she came across a five-tiered, four-cornered, wooden edifice with multiple eaves, making them looked like a stairway to heaven. There had carvings of mythical Buraq and okir motifs, just like torogan. "What is that tower resting at the lakefront?"

"It is their place of worship." Dumagan's unheralded arrival surprised her.

"Geez. Are you a ghost?"

"You were in deep thought, besides, why did you leave," he asked. "Did you know that it is dangerous out here alone in a foreign land especially that you are a woman?"

"I am not afraid, Dumagan," she replied hostilely. "You seem to forget that I am a goddess."

"I am not. I am just worried about you."

"Stop caring about me!" Her words came out abruptly. "Because I don't care about you." She could feel her heart beating quickly as she said those words.

"I don't believe you."

"I am not asking you to."

"I heard what you did to Anantara – how you brutally mutilated her, because you thought that I would not come to life again."

"Please stop Dumagan. I don't want to hear anything from you right now." But deep down, she was scared that he would leave her.

Dumagan realized how troubled Lisuga was as he saw her teary eyes. "My apologies, My Lady. I shouldn't have intruded your privacy." He then embosked to the copse.

Lisuga's feet trembled. She knew that she hurt him, and it was unbearable.