Four

🦋

🦋

Once the door bell rang, none of the Denver siblings made a move for it.
When, it rang again, and again, the oldest let out a heavy sigh and with heave feet, dragged himself over to the big door.

He gave it a twist and opened it.

Looking down, he saw a smiling Marlee as she held a paper in one hand and her lunchbox in the the other.

"Thanks for dropping her off..." Sawyer says to Mrs. Douglas.

"Oh, not a problem dear. Have a good night!" She kindly calls out as she turns and leaves.

"You too." Sawyer said, though, he doubts she heard him.

Sawyer helped Marlee take off her bag and hung it on her designated hook and placed her small jean jacket over it.

Marlee's happy and bubbly mood made what he had to tell ultimately the most difficult thing he's probably going to have to do.

"Today, Deven tired to pull my hair again; but I turned around just in time and flicked his nose. He cried like a little baby." Marlee explains her day with a fit of small giggles as she finishes.

Sawyer smiles, one that masked his emotions perfectly, almost as if it was his real smile.

"Good job, Mar. though, maybe next time just tell him to stop?" Sawyer suggestively says as the pair walks into the kitchen, where the others were waiting.

"Yeah, probably. But it was just too funny." She says. She tossed her lunch box on the counter, her short night prevented her from reaching up onto the Surface quite yet.
She hummed and went over to the Pantry and opens it, grabbing a fruit-roll-up from the pull out drawer.

The others watched her every move, no one saying a word.

As she tossed the rapper in the bin, she finally turned to face her siblings.

"What?" She asks looking over to Molly, who didn't do anything to hide her small tears as they slid freely down her red, puffy cheeks.

Marlee puts a hand on her hip,
"I know I may be only seven, but I think I'm pretty smart for my age. I know when something's wrong. I can read a room. "

Molly looked over to Sawyer, a sign telling him to spill the sad can of beans already, Marlee was in a great mood today, it's horrible that they have to ruin it.

"Hello?" Marlee says, her sassy ways showing more than usual.

Bryce has had enough. It was killing him that they were just staring at Marlee, not saying anything. So if they weren't, he would.