Chapter 1

I am sitting in the library with my best friend, Anna, and a few of our course-mates as we review some topics for the last exam of the semester. I am silent, not altering a word, for my mind is occupied with the dream I had last night—I wouldn't exactly call it a dream, more like a memory mocking me. The words that broke my heart into a million pieces are still fresh, replaying themselves like a broken record in my head.

"You're a psycho, Celeste. I can't be mated to you. You're fat and disgusting. You are not fit for a Luna."

"Andrew, what are you saying?" I asked my mate, my voice cracking and tears streaming from my eyes. I knew what was to come; he was going to reject me. The disgust and hatred he held for me were clearly showing in his eyes.

"I, Andrew Walter, soon to be Alpha of Crest Fall Pack, reject you, Celeste Sampson, as my mate and future Luna of Crest Fall Pack."

My eyes glistened with tears, and my eyes stung from trying to keep them in. I took a deep breath, blinking rapidly to keep the tears from falling.

I looked to my left, where Anna was seated, and saw her giving me a concerned look. I could tell she was about to ask me what was wrong, and I shook my head, telling her that I was okay. I knew she didn't believe me, but I was also glad that she didn't push it.

Instead of thinking about my ex-mate Andrew, I decided to focus my attention back on my studies.

*******************

When I got to my dorm later that evening, I collapsed onto my bed and stared up at my ceiling. I reached for my phone in my bag and saw seven missed calls from my mother.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath. I shook my head, already knowing why she was calling.

My fingers gingerly hovered over Mom's name, and I quickly clicked on the call button before I had time to back out. Placing the phone to my ear, I listened to it ring and ring before she picked up.

"Hi, mom," I breathed out. "How are you doing?"

"Celeste!" Mom's voice said loudly, making me take the phone from my ear before she damaged my eardrums.

"I have been calling your phone for hours."

"I was busy with college, mom," I told her, using my right hand to take my hair out of its bun.

"Yeah, yeah," she said. I could tell she was rolling her eyes at what I said.

"So, your dad and I were hoping if you could come home for Christmas this year," Mom asked.

She had been asking me every Christmas for the past three years to come home, but she knows I can't. I closed my eyes, using my hand to rub my temple. I couldn't deal with this.

"I can't, mom," I gritted out, trying my best not to lash out. She knows I couldn't go back to Crest Fall, especially with Andrew being the new Alpha of my old pack.

After Andrew rejected me as his mate, I moved to New York after high school and tried to start a new life. I am currently in my last year at New York University, studying to become a psychologist.

"Oh, come on, Celeste!" Mom shouted, "We haven't seen you in three years. We miss you, sweetie."

I closed my eyes tightly and puffed out a breath. Andrew shouldn't be the reason why I shouldn't see my family. He moved on, and I should too.