Chapter 12

I woke up to an empty bed. I looked around, but the King was nowhere to be seen. I sighed and went into the bathroom to get ready for the day. I put on washed blue jeans with a black long-sleeve shirt and white sneakers, then left the room.

I met Hilda and some other women in the living room, chatting and laughing among themselves. I smiled at them, and some responded with a hello or good morning, while others ignored me as if I wasn't there.

"Celeste, come!" Hilda called out to me in the dining room, which is joined with the living room. I walked over to her with a smile.

"Good morning," I said to her.

"Morning, child," Hilda replied as she placed food on the table. I offered to help them, also placing food on the table and making small talk with the coven members.

After we were done, Hilda walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder. "Have a seat, dear," she said, motioning to one of the seats.

I sat down, ready to dig into the delicious foods on the table when I noticed all the members seated with their heads cast down. Reluctantly, I also cast my head downward and waited.

"Gath, agaetí skal yawë deloi, unin líf, garjzla un vanyalí ástar daéda." They all chanted together, holding hands, including mine.

(Translation: Together, we bow our heads as one, in life, light, and magic we stand strong.)

Once the prayer was over, we started eating. After we were done, I offered to help with the dishes, but the women declined, saying they'd do it themselves.

I came out of the building in search of the King but couldn't find him. I sighed and turned back, only to see Hilda waving me over to her with a basket in her hand.

I walked to her and smiled. "High priestess," I said, and she frowned.

"Just call me Hilda."

"Okay, Hilda," I said, and this time she smiled while I chuckled.

"Would you like to pick some herbs with me?" She asked, and I nodded, happy to walk around the coven.

Hilda pointed out the types of plants I should pick after giving me a basket. We moved further into the forest, picking herbs silently.

"Celeste," she said my name, and I turned to look at her. "Yeah?" I answered, wiping sweat off my forehead.

She held out a leaf to the sky, inspecting it.

"This leaf can heal any wound. This is the first time I'm seeing it in twelve years," she said, twirling it between her fingers.

I stood next to her, also inspecting the leaf. "Wow," I said, amazed by it. "What's it called?" I asked her, looking at her face.

"We call it dauthleikr," she answered, looking at my face deeply.

"Dauthleikr.." I repeated, looking at the strange plant. "What does it mean?" I asked her, and her answer was simple.

"Immortal."

Before I could ask any more questions, she held my hand and placed the plant in my palm.

"Here, I want you to have it," Hilda said, putting her palm on top of mine and then smiled at me.

"But why would you give me such a special plant?" I asked her, furrowing my brows in confusion.

"Because you will need it more," she answered simply.

"But won't it wither and die?" I asked again.

"Shhhh, you ask too many questions, child," Hilda said, then chuckled. "And no, the plant doesn't die," she added lastly.