Chapter 4

Elijah placed his big hand on the small of my back and nodded to the guards. The door opened, and we walked in. Everyone stopped what they were doing, and I froze from all the stares. Elijah nudged me forward, and we walked. Everyone parted ways for us like the Red Sea, bowing down for their king in the process. You could tell that they were hesitant to bow because I was with him. Why would Alphas of great packs bow to me, a nobody?

I saw some glaring at me while others were surprised to see their King. There were a few murmurs going around, but I could hear them.

"It's him!"

"Who's she?"

"He's hot."

We walked around as Elijah greeted the Alphas. Some Alphas went straight into business mode, asking for permission to expand their pack land and other business matters that I had no interest in. I still couldn't believe that the king wanted me. What would become of me? I knew from the moment I laid eyes on him that my life would change and I would never be the same.

I looked around curiously; my eyes landed on Andrew and Natasha who were clinging to him like a second skin and glaring at me. I rolled my eyes and looked elsewhere. Then a thought came to me.

Where the heck is my family? I really hope they didn't leave without me, or I swear to the goddess I'll—

"Lady Celeste?" A voice said. I turned to see an older-looking man smiling at me.

"Yes..."

"I said it was a pleasure meeting you."

"Yes, me too," I replied sheepishly.

He smiled and then turned to the King. "See you soon, Elijah."

"Who's he?" I asked Elijah as he took a glass of wine from a maid.

"My uncle, Eros Black."

I gasped. "You mean the Eros Black? Alpha of the Blackwood pack?"

He chuckled. "Yes, that's him."

Eros Black was known in his youth days; he fought with the Alpha King before Elijah against the rogues. It was a bloody battle between thousands of lycans, and it happened thirty years ago. I wished that I had actually paid attention to their conversation.

The party came to an end, and Elijah escorted me outside the palace. The air was chilly, and I wrapped my hands around myself to keep warm, which Elijah noticed. He took off his suit coat and placed it on my shoulders.

We reached where Simone's car was parked, and I saw that they were already seated in the car.

I cleared my throat and faced him. Unexpectedly, he pulled me in for a hug. My face was pressed against his chest, and my hands were on his strong abs. My wolf thought about just taking a peek, lifting his white shirt that was tucked into his pants, and seeing the roll of abs he had.

My cheeks turned red, and I probably looked like a tomato. "See you soon, Celeste," he said as he let go of me.

"Y-yeah," I replied, looking elsewhere. I quickly got into the car and waved at him through the window as Simone started the car. He put his hand in his pants pocket and then nodded at me. I watched as he became smaller and smaller as Simone drove away.

"Now, tell us what happened!" Josephine urged.

"Nothing happened," I told her with a shrug.

"But we saw you... He even hugged you, Celeste."

"We're just friends," I lied.

I don't know why, but I felt like I shouldn't tell anyone yet. I wanted to keep it a secret until I was sure that the king really wanted me. Honestly, I was undeniably attracted to him... Who wouldn't be? With his thick brown hair that looked silky, sharp jaw, broad shoulders, height, and his beautifully toned body.