Chapter 22

I woke up abruptly to the sound of something crashing on the floor. I instantly felt alarmed but eased when I saw it was just Elijah holding a tray. I wrapped the bedspread around my naked chest as Elijah placed the tray filled with food on the bed.

"Good morning," he murmured with a sheepish smile. "Morning," I said while running my hand through my tangled hair.

"Smells good," I mumbled, inhaling the delicious smell of pancakes. Yes, pancakes!

"Not as good as you do," the king said with a smirk playing on his plump lips.

"Stop it," I murmured almost inaudibly, but I'm pretty sure he heard that because he chuckled softly.

I sighed as I took a bite from one of the pancakes drenched in syrup; it felt like I haven't eaten in years. I offered some to Elijah, but he declined, saying he would have breakfast later.

"We have a meeting to attend later in the day," Elijah said while I stuffed my face with food.

"We?" I asked, even though I had heard him the first time.

"Yes," he said, and I nodded. When he noticed my hesitation, he explained.

"You will soon be my queen and queen to the kingdom. I think it would be better if you become familiar with how it works."

Well, now that he put it that way, it makes sense.

"You're right," I mumbled before gulping down a glass of milk.

Elijah kissed my cheek before walking towards the bathroom. I heard the shower running, signaling that he was already taking a bath.

After I finished my breakfast, I placed the tray on the bedside table before falling back on the bed with a sigh. My head didn't hurt anymore, which is a good thing due to my werewolf abilities.

I closed my eyes with a smile on my lips and placed my hand on my stomach. I can't believe I'm pregnant, I thought. I just wish I remembered something.

I know Elijah said it would be better if I did not remember, but I feel like there's something I need to recall. Something very important. I picked up my nightgown and put it on before rolling to my side, facing the bathroom door, and immediately Elijah walked out with a towel wrapped around his hips. He ran his hand through his wet hair before glancing at me and giving me a smile, then he went to his walk-in closet.

I returned the smile and got up from the bed to go to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and washed my body, then shampooed my hair. After I was done, I brushed my teeth, and when I entered the bedroom, Elijah was no longer in the room. I put on a new pair of clothes and decided to meet mom.

When I closed the door behind me, I walked towards one of the guards to ask if they had seen mom.

"I saw her going to the kitchen," he said, and I thanked him before searching for her.

As I opened the door to the kitchen, I saw her seated with the Royal Chief Nicolas, laughing over something. They both smiled brightly at me as I moved closer to them.

"Mom," I mumbled, hugging her small frame while she peppered my face with her kisses. "I miss you so much," she murmured, smoothing my black hair.

I pulled back and then turned to Nicolas, who was already watching us with a smile. "Nicolas," I said, giving him a side hug.

"Oh child, it's good to see you again," he mumbled with a chuckle, patting my side.

Mom excused herself from Nicolas, and I grabbed her hand, giggling like a little girl as I led her out of the kitchen. We climbed the stairs to the highest part of the palace, offering a perfect view of the world that Elijah ruled.

We stood side by side next to the only window in the tower, looking out as the palace guards roamed the grounds.

"You're pregnant," Mom said calmly, and I gave her a quick glance before staring outside. I shifted uncomfortably, folding my hands around my chest.

"Yes," I replied with the same calmness.

"Darling... Are you safe here?" She suddenly asked, now staring at me with worry.

"Of course, Mom," I mumbled, chuckling nervously before adding, "why would you say that?"

She took my right hand and rolled my white sweatshirt up, revealing the infinite mark on my wrist. "Then what's this, honey?" She asked while I snapped my hand out of hers, pulling down the sleeve to cover up the mark as I looked around, praying no one saw that, even though I knew it was just Mom and me. But if anyone ever finds out, only the goddess knows what they would do.

"It's just a mark," I mumbled, shrugging nonchalantly.

Mom's eyes hardened, and I gulped, moving backwards, but I stood still from the glare she gave me.

"It's not just a mark. I know what that is... That's an Infinite sign, honey, and do you know what that means, huh?" She asked, pacing in front of me while I looked around, making sure there's no one listening in.

"It means whatever happens to him happens to you," she mumbled, running her hand through her black hair in a frustrated manner.

"I know, Mom," I whispered, making her stop pacing. "You know?!" She whisper-yelled, and I winced.

"He did it to save my life," I told her, trying to make her see my point.

"Well, you wouldn't need saving if it wasn't for him," she said, shaking her head while I pressed my lips in a firm line.

"It wasn't his fault."

"It is, baby..." Mom whispered, cupping my cheeks in her soft hands. "You had a life... You should be graduating university in two weeks," she added, and my eyes widened.

I totally forgot about school and Ana. Oh my goddess.

Mom's hand left my cheeks when she saw my expression. "You forgot..." She whispered, trailing off before her eyes hardened. "We're leaving the palace," she mumbled, trying to grab my hand, but I moved it behind me.

"No," I rasped, with tears gathering around my eyes.

"I love him, and I can't leave him," I gritted out, folding my hands.

"He's using you," she said, and for the first time, I glared at my mother.

"No, he's not, Mom!" I screamed at her as a single tear fell from my eyes. Her features softened, and she tried cupping my cheek, but I moved backward, making her almost stumble.

"I love him, and for the first time, someone wants me... He-he wants me, Mom, and look..." I said, bringing out my left hand in front of her and pointing at the ring with my right pointer finger.

"...We are getting married. He wants me to be his wife, his queen," I finished, breathing heavily.

"Celeste, I—" "No, Mom, I don't want to hear what you have to say," I mumbled, cutting off whatever she had to say. "I expected you to be happy for me," I added lastly before turning my back to her and walking down the stairs.

I could hear her calling my name, but I blocked her out.