Chapter 3: Vampirism for Dummies

A/N: Chapter 3, whoo!! Second semester of college has started, and it looks like I'll be busier than I originally thought... but as long as my once-a-week chapter update stands, I'll stay true to it ;D Always worth it! Okay, then... enjoy, guys! Thanks for reading <3

Note: No animals were harmed in the writing of this chapter... except that squirrel ;P (poor thing)

Chapter 3: Vampirism for Dummies

   True to Henri's words, Kira Sinclair was stationed at The Dakota, the famous New York landmark apartment complex for the rich, the famous, and, of course, the undead. Henri's penthouse seemed larger to me as soon as I passed through the front door. Maybe my senses were still not accustomed to my new... uh, condition.

   My internal clock told me that I still had around five hours until the sun rose at dawn. Who knew what would happen then... surely not me.

   The only light in the massive suite was in the foyer. Not that I needed any light in the first place; I could see just fine in the swallowing depths of darkness.

   Henri and I found Kira in the gallery, staring longingly at a portrait of her family. Henri's sister wore a black mini skirt, Gothic fishnets, wedged heels painted black with purpose, and a crop top that covered only one shoulder. The shirt itself was splattered with bits of red, and I couldn't decide if the surface was just part of the graphic design or actual blood. Being a vampire, you can never tell.

   Well, if it was blood, it would've been dry by now. My stomach would be acting up if it'd been fresh blood.

   When I stepped into the room, Kira snapped out of the apparent trance she'd been previously engulfed in and looked my way. Her dark eyes widened at me, then Henri when he came to stand directly behind me.

   "Did you settle everything with that witch?" Kira asked her older brother. "Is it done?"

   "It's done," Henri confirmed with a nod. "The amulets will be completely done by tomorrow night."

   "Wait, wait, wait!" I cried, my jaw feeling unusually heavy as I gawked at the female vampire in disbelief. "You knew, too?" I didn't even wait for her to respond. I shook my head. "Just how long have you two been planning this Escape-From-New-York idea? Weeks? Months?"

   "Toni, it's for your own good," Henri pressed, his tone trying to soften but failing miserably. "Your uncle doesn't know that you're alive."

   I laughed bitterly at his choice of words. "You mean undead." Henri let out a small sigh; one that I wouldn't have heard had it not been for my vampire hearing.

   I bit my lip. "So... if we are leaving, where exactly are we going, Henri?"

   "I can't tell you that, Antoinette. I'm sorry." He didn't sound too sorry about it. "Anyway, we won't be leaving until we get those amulets. You'll know soon." Henri sounded like a school teacher scolding me, and I'd been the unruly student questioning everything.

   I didn't sign up for this!

   I looked at Kira, who had come closer. "Seriously, though... when did the idea to escape the state arise?"

   "The night that you died," Kira murmured. "I knew Gavin would kill you when he purposefully trapped you in Central Park. I warned Henri, and he started planning your rescue."

   "Until Micah attacked you," Henri put it dryly. "Micah Kane was the wild card. No one knew that he was meant to be the alpha, and it ruined everything. All of our plans of escape... terminated."