Chapter 13: Ibrida

A/N: Hey, everyone! :D Ready for another exciting chapter? I know you are ;) Hope you enjoy (Warning: Cliffhanger at end - who am I kidding? You should know by now it'll end that way XP ) Thanks again for reading <3

Chapter 13: Ibrida

   I woke up with my back against a plushy mattress, my head propped up on a feathered pillow of silk. I didn't know where I was exactly, but my discombobulation didn't last long. A light came on from above, casting an artificial glow on the alleged bedroom. Red walls, red carpet, red everywhere.

   Wait, wasn't this Kira's bedroom? When she lived with her brother and sire, Gavin? Oh...

   When my surprise had finally settled, I also noticed that I wasn't alone in the gaudy version of a Goth's very own bed chamber. My sister stood stiffly by the door, and her dark eyes narrowed when I finally met her gaze. I hadn't spoken to Liz one-on-one since before I'd been turned. I'll admit she didn't look happy. Why? More to the point, why was I at Gavin's? I couldn't remember leaving Chicago behind at all. Hmm...

   "Liz?" I began hesitantly in question form. She shifted on her feet, almost in nervousness. "Toni." My name was all that left her mouth.

   I frowned. "Why-How did I get here? I... "

   "Gabriel brought you here so that you could officially join the clan as a child of our master," Liz explained, walking slowly toward me. With each step, I could see her hesitation clearly. Her apprehension was palpable; like a scent. Was my own sister afraid of me? Why? I couldn't possibly-

   "Hey, Liz, is she-?" The door behind my sister opened, and another familiar face pushed its way through.

   Russell Knight.

   When he saw me lying on the bed, he frowned, but his eyes – which had before looked dull and bored – shimmered with excitement. Okay, so he was happy to see me. Big deal...

   "Toni, I... How do you feel?" the vamp asked, his voice losing an edge and growing soft. I looked over at Liz, who stared right back, eyes going black as a piece of paper. I eventually shrugged at Russ and his question. "I've been better."

   "I assumed that," Russ muttered, then shook his head. "Your brother, Gabriel-"

   "Half-brother," I corrected.

   "Your half-brother Gabriel told me that he found you in Chicago," he paused for a heartbeat. "Why were you there on your own?"

   Plenty of excuses flew through the expanse of my mind, but I could tell you most of them couldn't and wouldn't work at all. The truth of the matter was that Henri, my own sire, couldn't be trusted. My uncle had been right about that malicious vampire...

   I ended up shrugging half-heartedly. "I guess going there was important for me somehow. Although I didn't stay very long, I had a revelation."

   "That's nice," Liz muttered sarcastically – at least, I think it was sarcasm. It could've been something else. Really...

   "So, Toni, are you about ready to meet the rest of the clan?" Russ asked, breaking the silence in all of us. My brow furrowed, and a frown appeared on my face. "W-what do you mean? How-"

   "Of all the things he could tell you, Gabriel didn't at least inform you about this night?" Russ muttered with a low chuckle. "Selective information giver, huh. Antoinette, in a few hours, every clan member in the area will be here at Gavin's for a welcoming ceremony for you."