Chapter 9: To the Rescue

A/N: Hey, guys! Chapter 9 is finally here :D Hope you all enjoy, and thanks for reading ;)

Chapter 9: To the Rescue

   We were in a state of panic. The only one who seemed calm enough was Thomas Garland, who held Tiger in his arms, a living vision of composure. The familiar was purring loudly now, every once in a while as Tom scratched her behind the ear lovingly.

   "Henri, we have to-" I began.

   "I know," he cut me off with a firm voice. "We don't have much time."

   "What are you waiting for, then?" Tom asked us, brow furrowed nicely in slight confusion. At least he looked a bit concerned now...

   I bit my lip, careful not to break the skin with my fangs. "Will they kill her?"

   Henri shook his head, even as he led us out of the warlock's abode. "Kira's too valuable to Robert to be executed any time soon. He's using her as bait."

   No shit...

   "Why would she-?" Then, I got it clearly. The clan still wanted Henri's pretty head on a polished silver platter. It all made sense; why Kira had been taken so suddenly.

   "They just want to lure you out," I pointed out to my sire, who nodded in agreement. "If that's what they want, that's what they'll get."

   "What?! But... " I sputtered forcefully. "My uncle wants you dead! You really want to give him what he wants?"

   "It's not just about Henri anymore, Toni," Jeremy spoke up, looking me clear in the eye. "Robert Drake wants the grimoire. He wants that cure."

   I couldn't believe anything I was hearing. Both Henri and Jeremy were giving up? Just like that?!

   "If it ends in bloodshed and the overall death toll of this city, then it's worth it," Henri told me quietly, his look sympathetic for some reason. I bit my tongue to suppress a scream of frustration. I was close to speechless. "What do you mean? This isn't a war-"

   "Not yet, Antoinette, but it could turn into one in the very near future. It could all change in a single heartbeat. Manhattan is about to become a warzone."

   I swallowed hard at those words. Henri was far from finished. "Your uncle never stopped murdering helpless people. Even after you were turned, he kept on killing. The hunters are currently scrambling around, trying to protect and cover up the numerous instances before the human population discovers the bloody truth." He paused for a moment. "The city's going to go into a state of panic, it seems."

   "Pure chaos," Jeremy added grimly.

   I let out a sharp exhale and looked up at the dark night sky. The moon above us was close to full. I suddenly remembered Viviana Garland's prophecy:

   "Unleash the cure at full moon's peak."

   "We have to find that hybrid," I murmured, then stopped myself. "After we save Kira."

    "And how exactly do we do that?" Jeremy questioned harshly. I had the nerve to shrug. "Do what Henri suggested. Give Robert Drake what he wants." I turned to my sire. "The grimoire."

   "Are you nuts?"

   I rolled my eyes. "They won't be able to read the spell book either. That gives us an advantage. Especially after we find the legendary hybrid."