8\\Does Everyone just Suck?//8

"Did you sleep here?"

His head jerked up, and his neck cracked, confirming that wherever 'here' was it was far from comfortable. Or dark. The light burned his eyes, and even rapid blinking didn't help with the tearing for a minute.

"No?"

"Don't try and lie to me Merlin, you're not very good at it." The seventh year, Gaius, Merlin's only friend in his entire house, had his arms crossed and the most inpatient look Merlin had ever seen. "You met me last night how could you possibly know that."

"I'm omniscient, obviously. Come on, get up."

"I'm actually really comfortable where I am, so..." That was a lie, of course, considering 'where I am' remained to be on the floor against the glass that let them view into the Black Lake. "And I'm Lucius Malfoy's best friend, and dating Bellatrix. Come on, you need to get done before breakfast. And before anyone sees you, that is some serious bedhead."

Merlin rolled his eyes but knew the older boy was probably right. All things considered, he'd really prefer to avoid being seen looking as bad as he probably did. He was getting enough for being Muggleborn - a huge thanks to Severus for making sure that was extremely well known among the rest of the house - he didn't need to add fuel to the fire by looking like a trashcan that exploded.

He took significantly too long to get done, which was something he had a tendency to do when he didn't know how to make something look good. The Hogwarts uniform was many things, fashionable not being one of them. He changed it around nine times before giving up and leaving the shower room with his shirt half-untucked and his tie around his neck like neckerchief, having given up mid-tenth attempt.

At least it was different, because that's what he needed more of. Ignoring the dirty looks he got from almost everyone, he wasted no time in high-tailing it to where Gaius was still waiting in the common room by himself.

He was a Pureblood, like many of the students in Slytherin, but he was very openly against the Pureblood Supremacy many of the other students believed in. That didn't make him very popular. Not with the Slytherins, at least. He had a lot of friends in the other houses though - not unlike Merlin himself.

"Finally, sweet Mer- nevermind, that's going to be weird."

One thing Merlin had learned over the course of the night, was that wizards used the word Merlin much the same as muggles use the word God. Not to say that they worshiped Merlin, the didn't, but they used his name in sentences a lot. It was rather strange.

"No, no it's ok," They were already out of the door. "I like being admired, you can call me sweet anything all you want."

"I'd rather call you an idiot and be done with it."

"You love me."

"Nope."

They split up in the Great Hall, both immediately spotting closer friends. Gaius making for a spot claimed after seven long years, and Merlin for where he saw Sirius and James running on the table top. He jumped up too, running and jump tackling James into Sirius and sending them all down onto Remus and Gwaine - in turn knocking them onto the floor and taking a third innocent bystander with them.

"Merlin! You're alive," Sirius cheered. James echoed the sentiment. "I thought those snakes were going to eat you for sure."

"They're venomous not constrictors," Remus added. "Give them a week."

"And just what are you six doing?" They all turned quiet, looking up at Minerva McGonagall with big eyes and innocent smiles.

"Admiring the floor work?"