(5)

- The Middle Of Nowhere -

Route 66, 1920

The desert filled every inch of the view- it went on and  on like a broken record. The red rock was hot to touch but the air was cold to breathe. Skies were overpopulated by stars, galaxy's shimmer for no one but the cactus and coyotes to see. No lights - a single stretch of road and total peace. The rhythmic lulling of crickets and desert toads singing into the endless stretch of dusted, dead rock.

The flutter of wings join the crickets and she appeared on the road. Stars as spotlights on her, letting her see through out the dark. She begins to walk, enjoying the peace after the rowdy busyness of home. Thoughts rush through her mind, wondering what she'd do? What's to come?. But a question lingered above her head like an angry storm cloud ready to burst.

"Who's the one?"

She felt blessed to be trusted so deeply by her superiors, she'd worked hard and loved every minute of it but to receive an allowance such as this- well her heart could burst. But despite such good tidings-nothing comes without its complications.

Another flutter of wings join the desert. She paused her next step, taking a deep breathe. Turning she found a stranger, a face that never met her before.
"Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes"  He smiled, a glimmer of mischief in his eyes. The Norse God himself Loki stood with a secret between his lips.

She frowned slightly, as he took a few steps toward her.

"And can I just say, your as beautiful as the day you arrived in Heaven" He added with a smirk.

"Your not Loki" She pointed at him. Eyes squinting at him, she saw him clearer.

"There you go again, I compliment you and you brush me off- your breaking a man's heart here" He said placing a hand on his chest as if wounded. Tucking his hands in his trouser pocket, he looked down at her, through his dark eyelashes. He watched amusedly as the realisation covers her face.

"Gabriel" She stopped herself from gawking at him.

"Hello Persephone" His Hand reaches up and booped her button nose. He sighed, looking at her.

"You left- I didn't think I'd see you again" She wrinkles her brow, unsure how she felt about his sudden appearance.

"Yes well, that's kinda how witness protection works cutie" He said, eyes smiling.

"Uh huh" She curved an eyebrow, pouting her lip.

"You know, you were one of finest creation that dad did" He said taking another step toward her.

"What are you doing here?" She placed her hands on her hip;Trying to ignore his proximity.

"I wish you'd stop doing that" He exhaled- slightly irritated. "I wanted to see you, is that such a crime?" he explained tilting his head.

"Yes, when your on the lamb" She nodded with a frown, making her 20s curls bounce.

"Gosh your smart" He smiled again, that glimmer of mischief appeared in his eyes. "Heard you got a promotion, congratulations"

"thank you" Persephone crossed her arms, her suspicions still hanging in the air.

"You know if it was me up there I would've aloud you to have anything you wanted- rule whole the damn world if you liked" He said - half sincerity half brown-nosing.