Chapter Two: Heartbreaks and Makeovers

Bella's short vacation in Korea seemed to change her life a lot. Mia thought about it as she walked to Bella's house which was just a few blocks away from hers. She had definitely done something worthwhile with her vacation. She discovered her own culture, visited her brother, learned about makeup and fashion, and even managed to bring home a boyfriend so quickly as if he was a souvenir she had just plucked at a gift shop.

Bella's life sure was turning around so quickly.

It was as if it was just yesterday that the girl barely cared about what she looked because she was too busy watching rom-coms and reading romance novels to bother herself with real life guys. If she did like real guys though, she would just fantasize about them for a short period of time then change her mind about them so quickly. She never decided to make a move. She and her were basically just two girls who figured they'd only be at the sidelines, stuck on wishing for a prince charming. And Mia figured that at least just for high school, they'd both stay that way. Guess all things come to an end and eventually, one would have to grow up.

As she stood in front of the door, Mia balled her hands into fists and thought it was time that she grew up too.

She took a deep breath before she'd ring the doorbell. Here goes for nothing, she thought as she sighed.

Ding dong.

In a flash, Bella flung the door open. "You're here!" She exclaimed. "Come on in!"

Mia brought herself in, leaving her shoes out by the door. It wasn't the first time she had stepped in Bella's humble abode, but it certainly was the first time without the rest of Bella's small family.

"Your mom isn't home yet?" Mia asked with her hands buried in her jacket's pockets.

"She's at work today, remember?"

"She is? I thought she doesn't work on Saturdays," Mia uttered.

"She figured she would, especially since my stupid brother is studying abroad."

Mia nodded. Right, of course, she thought. She picked up a picture of Bella and her brother that was sat on a table leading up to Bella's room. Mia let out a slight chuckle. They looked so dorky when they were younger. They were probably both in grade school by this time. She wished she could have met them both then, but then, life never really made things simple. Of course, life would make her meet Bella and her older brother at a bad time -- mostly when Mark Cho, Bella's infamous brother, was far from friendly.

For some reason, Mark Cho had never become close to Mia. He'd always throw her dirty looks and glare at her with those daunting eyes. Just thinking about it made Mia shiver. Why he was like that, she would never know.

Mia was always close to Mrs. Cho, Bella and Mark's mom. She never did anything wrong to Bella for Mark to be angry at her. And, she didn't do anything to Mark -- as far as she could recall at least.

"Whatcha doin' there?" Bella peeped at Mia, holding on to the corner of her room's doorway.

"Just looking at a picture." Mia put the picture down neatly then proceeded to Bella's room.

"How's Mark by the way?" She asked Bella who was heading to her own desk to prep up her makeup kit.

"Oh you know, still as annoying as ever, but... he's doing pretty well, overall, anyway. He's changed a bit too though. And they're positive changes, I guess."

Mia sat herself on the edge of Bella's bed. "Really? I hope part of that change is finally being OK with me."

"What do you mean?"