Chapter Thirteen: Not That Bad After All

"You know what Drew? You're supposed to be the one to cut the crap. Mia likes you. I've seen it in her eyes. The way she looks at you... She's in love with her best friend. And you, you're here pretending to be oblivious and I just can't with you anymore..." Peggy stopped, not sure if she was making sense as she had just babbled on and on. She began to talk again with a more serious tone this time, "The point is... Mia likes.. Or even loves you. She has a lot of hope that you guys might be the next couple who got together because you guys were best friends. She basically wants you guys to be like Taylor Swift and Lucas Till in that You Belong With Me music video. She's there planning off your cute love story and going all crazy for i--"

So he knew all this time. Tears began to fall and roll down Mia's cheeks. She clenched her teeth and fists as she couldn't control the waterworks that were pouring out of her eyes. Really, she hated having to cry in public, especially when Drew was around.

Failing to pull herself together and not wanting for him to see her, she rushed out of the diner. What was she thinking? Why of all days did she have to decide to head into Drew's diner to order some food and maybe even get to talk to him and perhaps to hangout to make up for what happened a week ago at her house? 

She tried to calm herself down in her mind. No. It was perfectly fine that she heard this. She had to hear this. If she didn't, she would have just made more of a fool of herself in Drew's eyes. Right...?

Covering her face and walking through the sidewalk, Mia could never be more disappointed and humiliated with herself and of course, Bella couldn't be more wrong. Why did she even have to believe that stupid thing anyway? How can Drew ever love her? There's no use -- she was going to lose him for sure.

As Mia slowly walked away from the diner, covering her face with her hands, she had accidentally bumped into someone.

"S-sorry..." Mia apologized then slowly walked away some more.

"Mia? Is that you?"

Mia's heart skipped. Oh God no. She could recognize that voice absolutely anywhere. Mark? Not knowing why, Mia looked back at him, wiping some tears off of her eyes.

"Holy crap, are you crying?" Mark said as he looked at her which looked like some look of horror to Mia.

"I-I'm sorry. Please don't look at m--"

Before Mia could finish, Mark held Mia's hand. Mia's face flushed red with embarrassment. She tried to take her hand off from his as she said, "M-Mark. Please l-let go. My ha-hand has s-snot and t-tears."

"You think I'm not aware of that?" Mark asked her in a rather serious tone. "Just come with me, OK?"

Mark held Mia's hand as he walked back to the direction of the diner, making Mia's heart freak out.

"M-Mark. Please. I-I do-don't want t-to go back to the di-diner."

With the usual monotone voice, Mark told her, "You think we're going to go to the diner? I'm not letting your friend see you like that, all right? We're heading to the ice cream shop that's near here," Mark finished his statement with a smile, something that surprised her as she buried her face in the palm of her free hand.

Once they entered the ice cream store, Mark asked the counter for some tissue to give to Mia before he could proceed to order. Mia never really hung out in this ice cream shop before and to be fair, she didn't really know there was even an ice cream shop that was nearly next to the Carlisle family diner.

After Mia wiped her face with tissue, she sat herself at one of the tables of the ice cream shop, waiting for Mark to finish ordering. She put her hands on her lap, trying to process everything that was happening right now. She had just heard Drew and Peggy talking about her which was no doubt humiliating and now she was with Mark, the last person on Earth she could imagine herself hanging out with, especially with his cold demeanor towards her, and what was weird was that he was buying her a frigging ice cream.