create

I stare into the night, and she stares back.

She blinks her eyes of one thousand stars, her smile the gentle curve of the crescent moon, and sweeps me into her arms, dark and cold in the most comforting of ways.

"What's wrong, my child?" She asks with a voice of melodies unsung.

"Do you ever feel alone?" I ask in response, and she smiles wider.

"No, my child," she says. "For we are never alone. Ask me again."

"Do you ever feel alone?" I ask with wonder, staring into the twinkling galaxies she holds.

"A feeling is impermanent," she says as satellites dance across her skin like freckles. "It comes and goes in waves, and we should not cling to it. Let your feelings pass, my child. They do not define you." She sighs a mist of ice and clouds. "Ask me again."

"Do you ever feel alone?" I ask again, letting her chill seep into my bones with ease.

"I never have, my child," she says, "and I never will. For when loneliness creeps in, I need only spin amongst my starts, and travel between the planets, where I am welcomed as a beloved friend." She is kind, and just.

"Can I come with you?"

This is the right question. She does not respond. Her smile grows bright and blinding as her cold envelops me, and I shine as bright as her stars.