end\beginning

Blood.

Sweat.

Tears.

Screaming and crying. The sound of muscles tearing and bones being crushed. Flames kissing skin and ice gripping lungs to stop any relief.

Seconds, days, centuries pass in the abyss. Sometimes it tricks the mind into security only to strike at the sight of weakness.

myfaultmyfaultmyfaultmyfault

-gasping for air and blinking away the memories.

Waking up from a nightmare is never a good way to start the day. Especially the day I'm committing high treason and potentially suicide by unstable spaceship. I had other things to worry about.

Like hacking into the Earth Monitoring database to confirm flight coordinates. And stealing from multiple guards. And making a deal with Shumway.

But it was a necessary evil to get on that dropship with my brother. Since I already knew Bellamy was taking the more violent route by shooting Jaha.

Ever since that stupid Unity Day party that I specifically told Bellamy NOT to go to, it's been like this.

I thought if they never went to the masquerade then Aurora Blake wouldn't die. I had already failed to save Jake Griffin when he ignored my warnings. And John Murphy inherited his stubbornness from his father, who was like a man posessed when trying to get ahold of medicine for his son. I didn't want to see another friend lose a parent.

Maybe these are some of the things I can't change.

Obviously I failed. More than that, once Octavia was discovered mandatory searches were conducted of all quadrants. The guards found my brother within the week. Having one illegal sibling hidden for this long was bad enough. But two? The Council had to make an example of us.

My father was floated, not that I cared too much beyond the fact that he was mine to kill. Bellamy was demoted to a janitor. And I was isolated, cut off from the connections I worked for years to build. They placed me in the redistribution center where I spent my days sorting through rusted screws and stale bedsheets.

Long gone are my special favors and endearing looks. Instead they are replaced by subtle glances of pity and glares of disgust.

But I couldn't care less about what they thought. It was time to get ready.

My bag was packed: extra gun and three rounds of ammo, shock baton, stockpile of generic medical supplies, change of clothes for me and Diell, a weeks worth of ration bars, tool kit, set of flatter shoes, a thin tarp-like blanket, an empty notebook with some pencils, extra set of knives, radio, and one flare.

Like fuck am I gonna leave anything to chance.

My clothes were layered and practical. It was sweaty on the Ark so it will most likely be dripping on Earth. Red tank, white henly, leather jacket, leggings, cargo pants (gotta love those pockets), and some trusty clunky boots.

I had traded in all of my favors and rations and any goodwill left for this opportunity. I would say I traded my soul but it's debatable if I even had one at this point.

Walking through the halls of the Ark like this was risky, but since I wasn't planning on being there for much longer it wasn't a priority. It was surprisingly easy to pass through the chaos of the Skybox. Prisoners were panicking and the guards were drugging the more violent ones. So most were dropping like flies.

I waited until the top level was filled until entering the pod. Most of the delinquents didn't spare me a second glance. But some were suspicious, even terrified.

Probably think I'm their executioner or something.

I knew that a few kids die on the way down, but I wasn't sure which level they were on. Unfortunately I couldn't interfere without the risk of being found out too early. Besides, I didn't know them. They weren't my priority or problem.

The ship doors closed with a hiss as everyone was finally strapped in. The video showing Jaha played just as I remembered. Kids laughed and jeered if only to distract themselves. We feel the weight of movement and there's a second of silence before the nervous chattering resumes.

It all plays out from there. Someone shouts at Wells about his father. Clarke scolds the two boys and Finn about staying in their seats.

Like that's gonna happen. I scoff and close my eyes, ignoring all attempts at conversation and questioning about my bag. Even if they weren't juvenile delinquents they were still teenagers.

We break through the atmosphere and two sickening thuds are heard over where there was once two flying boys.

Monty commented about the machine hum and while everyone is still marveling at that fact I jump into action.

Unbuckle seatbelt. Secure bag. Climb down ladder. Look for Diell.

His hair is longer after being in lockup but he's one of the few actual kids on board so it's easy to spot him. He clenches his fists and tightens his shoulders like I taught him to do in a suspicious situation.

Atta boy.

I wasted no time in grabbing him. I held back my tears for a more private time but nothing could stop me from gripping his newly gangly limbs (he's already going through another growth spurt) or inhaling deeply (home, safe, brother, love) at his comforting scent.

"You made it? You're here? How?" he mumbled in my hair without letting me go.

"Of course I made it. Did you honestly doubt your big sister?"

I smirk and ruffle his hair while letting him go. He looks at me with disbelief and joy. Our moment is ruined by the gawking and Octavia seeing Bellamy.

Their reunion is more dramatic than mine but I wonder if people looked at us the same way. And holy shit how didn't anyone notice how wrecked Bellamy looked?

His eyes were frantically darting around and his fingers were twitching like an addict looking for a fix. I'm certain the only thing keeping him grounded at this moment was his sister.

Putting aside my concern I tuned back into the conversation in front of me.

"-girl they found hidden under the floor!"

Oh shit here we go.

Octavia sneered and looked ready to lunge before Bellamy held her back.

"It's not like I was the only one!"

And once again the attention was focused on my brother. Bellamy seemed to notice I was there. I couldn't get a read on his reaction, but whatever it was cleared up fast. He was reassuring Octavia. Telling her she could be the first person on Earth in 300 years.

Little do they know.

"Hey," I finally speak up,"if we're having a pity competition here Bradbury then I think my brother has the right to this too."

With the reminder that she wasn't alone in her experience Octavia's face lit up. She grabbed my brother's hand before making her way to the doors. Bellamy opened the Dropship up.

They both eagerly hopped out, breathing in fresh air for the first time. Diell looked around in wonder while Octavia closed her eyes.

"WE'RE BACK BITCHES!"

Then it was a free-for-all. Kids poured out and began immediately wandering off. I stuck back and watched. As excited as I was to be reunited with Earth and explore the connection, I couldn't. Everywhere I looked I could see a potential threat. And nobody wanting to take things seriously.

This is gonna be a fucking nightmare.