Kabanata 10

Boss

"Will you be alright, hija?"

I heave out a sigh before sipping the coffee. Like what we have talked about last night, today is the schedule of my first task in Campos No more jaunting anymore, it's time for work!

Even though I am confident that I would end up choosing the best that fits the description with no sweat, I still feel jittery. Aside from this is my first actual practice towards becoming an heiress of my family's inheritance, I am not really familiar with the environment and the right approach of how things will work within the facility.

"Pupunta naman po si Auntie Alena diba? I mean, of course! She'll be there. You know? To guide me and teach me." I give him an obvious wry face.

Binaba niya ang diyaryong hawak at tumayo papunta saakin. "Yes, hija. You'll be needing her."

"Well, I think that's enough for me to be alright, Papa."

"Hija, you know the first time your Lolo Peleus sent me to stables and the first thing I did was to learn how to tame all of our horses! I wasnt expecting that! I thought I could have my own office since he was my father.  Parang mas gusto ko pa ngang mag-araro na lang nang magdamag kaysa ang amuhin lahat ng kabayo noon eh. But I've learned that, the first time will always be hard. Blessed those people who were born brave and strong."

Napalunok ako dahil naalala ko si Silas, ang simpleng haplos niya na nagpakalma kay Maia. Mukhang sanay na sanay siyang gawin iyon sa hayop man o maging sa tao. 

"Pero sino ba naman ang pinanganak na agad na naging matapang at malakas?" This time I looked at to him.

Napangiti ako. Tunay nga na hindi madali ang pinagdaanan ni Papa bago niya nakamit ang mga bagay na mayroon siya ngayon. Lolo Peleus really raised a wonderful and honorable man, my father.

"You will not be brave without being scared. You will not be successful without getting failed. I admit that I learned the hard way of taming the horses. Hindi naging madali iyon. But you know what I did?"

Mataman akong naghintay sa sagot niya. Maybe if I find his answer a lot easier than this offer, I will probably voluntarily work with our horses in stables. 

"I treat the horses the way I want to be treated. Like, if I were to be a horse, how do I like to be treated by horseman. Same with you, Perse. Always put your shoes and your feet on the ground to people that are below to you. Always have patient and respect to your employee and coworkers even outside the workplace." He then winked at me.

I laughed and then thanked him. He made me feel nothing but humbled with his meaningful and enlightening admonition.

"Thanks, Pa. I owe you."

They say that experience is the best teacher. But, what if you haven't experienced things you want to learn? You take it from someone who has done it. That's why I inculcated all the single words my Papa said to me. Like, it was a beautiful broken vinyl that I wouldn't probably get tired of listening to over and over again. 

Habang nasa biyahe papunta sa bukid ay hawak-hawak ko ang isang envelope na naglalaman ng profiles ng mga aplikante para sa summer job. Hindi ko na ito natignan kagabi dahil sa sobrang pagod at excitement para sa araw na ito.

"Susunduin ko po ba kayo, Maam para sa tanghalian?" ani Dante

"Hindi na, Dante. Hindi rin naman ako magtatagal. I'll just check the applicants." Tinignan ko ang oras sa radyo. Alas nuwebe pa lang naman at sigurado naman akong hindi na ako aabot nang tanghali.

"Sige po Maam. Pero kapag nagutom po kayo, tawag lang po kayo." I smiled at him through the back mirror.

"Ang ganda niyo po, Maam. Mukha po kayong hindi eighteen."