Chapter Eighteen-Jade

Hello, Lovelies, 

Thank you for reading Splendid Shadows!  Also, thank you for being patient.  I hope everyone is being safe.  I am so sorry this took so long but I did have another death.  Because of that death, I do want you to check on your friends and family through this.  Isolation is much harder for some than it is others and it can sometimes be too much.  So, please check on those you love.  

I am writing again.  So, I am updating.  I will try to get the new schedule up in the next few days.  Also, for those who read The Silvergrove Academy Series, Sparked is going through final editing.  I will let you know when it's done.  

I hope you enjoy this chapter.  If you do, please consider voting.  Comments are appreciated. I truly appreciate all of you.  

-XXXX Amanda 

***********

 Antony smiled at me as he sat across the table from me. His brow raised as he took in my face.

"I understand why you want to learn to protect yourself," he said with a sigh, "But I wanted to talk to you about this life first."

I pursed my lips, "I know it's not pretty, Antony," I said, raising my chin, "But whether Macon realizes it or not, if I'm going to stay with him...If we're going to have any type of life together then I will be part of it. He can't protect me from it."

Antony raised his brows and tilted his head as he continued to study me, "Macon is a bit delusional in that. He can't expect for you not to be part of any of it. It's dangerous. You know what happened to Gaige's girl, right?"

I nodded, my heart clenching, "I know she's dead. I'm not naïve to what this life could mean for me," I swiped my hand over my eyes, "I'm not willing to give up Macon and he's not willing to give up me. Besides that, we both have Noah and I need to know how to protect him...and myself."

Antony nodded, "You know facing him on your own is suicide," he said, causing my heart to jump in my chest, "You aren't Jo. That will become apparent to him and then, he'll kill you."

The fact of what I was thinking would possibly put me in that very situation, made me meet Antony's eyes with real fear shining within my own, "I know that. I also know that until he figures that out, everyone I love is in danger."

Antony nodded, "That's true," he said, frowning, "But know if Calvin takes you and especially if you die, the danger to those in this house will not end. We will all fight until Calvin dies. Do you understand that?"

My stomach began to churn because I knew he was right. If anything happened to me, Macon and his gang would not give up until Calvin and the Jararacas were taken out. It would be a bloody war and Noah and Macon would be in the center of it. Still, I had to take the chance and continue with my plan because I knew it was the only way to defeat him.

**********

Antony held up a vial of clear liquid as we stood in the middle of the kitchen. I stared at the liquid inside the vial, curious.

"This is the drug I used to knock you out," he said, his voice grim, "Before we get into it, I want to say again that I'm sorry but it was to protect you. However, you are probably the only person I've ever used it on to protect. The rest have been bad men."

Something dark flashed behind his eyes, "Can I ask how you got into this?"

He nodded, the shadows on his face becoming thicker, "I have three sons and two daughters. The youngest of my daughters, Gia, went to a bar on her twenty-first birthday. This drug was slipped into her drink and she was raped. We found out who did it and of course, it was a member of the Jararacas. We lured him to the restaurant and I dosed his drink with the very drug that he gave Gia and Macon took care of him. Before that, I was simply a restaurant owner who knew people in a vigilante gang. I didn't quite understand Macon's involvement until then. I do now."

"I'm sorry," I said, my heart aching for him, "It sounds like an awful ordeal."

"It was...Still is," he said, frowning, "Gia was never the same. She went from a carefree, happy girl to someone who doesn't trust anyone. The only reason she was able to cope is knowing that the man who did that to her is no longer able to do that to anyone else."

"So, she knows what you did?" I asked, blinking in shock.

"My whole family knows," he said, glancing at the vial, "My wife even knew before her sweet spirit passed out of this world. As sweet as she was, this was one thing that was dark she understood."

"And your sons are part of the gang?" I asked, raising my brow.

"All of them but more than that my daughters are too," Antony said, meeting my eyes, "What happened to Gia changed our whole family and when Macon took over The Shadowmakers and it became a vigilante gang, we joined."

"So, women are able to join?" I asked, surprised because I thought Macon was against it.

"All women are, except for you," he said, raising his brow, "And we all know the reason. Macon would go through anything to protect you and Noah but he wants to protect you from it all."

"He can't protect me," I said, wondering if I was saying too much but Antony had revealed so much, I knew I needed to reciprocate, "Calvin is going to keep coming for me. He'll destroy the lives of everyone in his way. He can't protect me from that."

Antony studied me for a long moment, "We all know the risks. We are willing to take them."

I shook my head, "I'm not willing to let you take them."

I pressed my lips together, realizing I had said too much. When I raised my eyes to Antony's he had paused, studying my face.

"And what are you planning to do about that, Jade?" He asked, narrowing his eyes, "Run away?"

I knew I had revealed too much and the only thing I could do now was reveal my plan and hope Antony would help me.

"Not exactly. There is no way he's going to come out of hiding, if I'm not used as bait," I said, narrowing my eyes, "His men keep getting killed. The last one was his brother. I'm sure he's tired of relying on them and he'll be coming for me himself. It's logical but he won't come out until he knows where I'm at and if I don't come out, he's going to take everyone in this house and your family and the rest of The Shadowmakers' lives. I don't know what he'll do to Noah."

"Macon won't allow that," Antony shook his head.

"No and that's why I have to do it this way," I said, glancing at the bassinet through the doorway of the kitchen where Noah laid sleeping, "It's not just about Macon or the gang anymore. It's about him too. I have to make it safe."

Antony took a deep breath and swiped his hands over his eyes, "Okay but I can't let you do this on your own," he said, frowning, "What's your plan?"

I met Antony's eyes, "Lure him," I said, raising my chin until my eyes met his, "And then, kill him myself."

Antony appeared as if he were about to protest but then, he nodded, "Macon may kill me afterwards but I'll help you."

I gave him a sad smile and then, promised, "I won't let that happen."

I took a deep breath as I closed my eyes realizing that I would have to live to keep Antony safe because if anything happened to me, Macon would be on a warpath and his first victim would be anyone who had helped me.