𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒: 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡

Seoul Forest Trimage Towers, Seoul

4:33PM

Roseanne's POV.

"Can I leave now? I can't be horizontal all day," I complained.

"You don't have to be horizontal. I can't put you in so many other positions baby," Lisa remarked.

She rolled over on the bed so she was on top of me again as she liked to be.

"I think I know that better than anyone," I chuckled playfully.

I was possibly the longest relationship of Lisa's life.

Who knew better than me that she could give a woman one hell of a workout?

"What do you do all day? You know, when you're not breaking a sweat with me." I asked her lightheartedly

"Workout. Read. Work. Smoke."

I was startled by a familiar song reverberating from the other room. I realized that it was my phone ringing. I slid from underneath her bulk of muscle. I grabbed Lisa's Polo off the floor and tugged it over my head, rushing to collect my phone. I shuffled through my purse, until I found the source of the music.

I registered Dad in bold on the screen.

He had the worse timing ever.

Speaking to my dad around Lisa didn't sound like the better option but ignoring my dad's phone call didn't either. My dad already assumed that I was dodging his calls. His suspicion would only heighten if I actually did.

I didn't notice Lisa behind me until she snatched my phone out of my hand and held it behind her back.

"It's my dad," I whined, trying to get my phone back but she was way too fast for me.

"You can call him back later," Lisa said as I attempted to salvage my phone to no avail.

"I can't. He already thinks I'm screening his calls. Please."

Just as Lisa decided to hand me the phone the ringing stopped. I was about to return my dad's call when my phone started ringing again. Of course it was my dad calling back.

How could he think I was ignoring his calls if he always called and called until I picked up?

"Dad?" I answered sitting with my chin resting on my knee.

"Roseanne Park," he scolded with that fatherly authority.

I hated when my dad called me anything other than my nickname because that usually meant a lecture was coming my way.

"Hi, to you too, dad."

"Have you been forwarding my calls?"

"No, I haven't."

"I called and called you."

"I haven't been ignoring your calls."

"Are you coming to see your family Sunday?"

"Yeah, of course."

"I'm glad. Have you spoken to your mother lately?"

My nose turned up in disgust without my consent. "No."

It's been a long while since I've spoken to my mother even though she recently moved back to Gyeonggi, I've been avoiding her. Afraid that I would revert back to adolescence and end up sobbing in her chest as a result of how badly she hurt me when she left.

I'd been so mad at my mom for so long that I didn't even know how to let go of that anger. My mother was the reason for the distance between myself and my family. If she hadn't left us, my dad and Chanyeol wouldn't have felt the need to shelter me out of fear that I'd become just like her and leave my family.