Why Won't You Let Me?

"Wake up, Daddy’s home." Tony spoke as he stood at his desk in the lab and snapped his fingers. The computers turned on and everything started to generate power throughout the lab.

"Welcome home, sir. Congratulations on the opening ceremonies. They were such a success, as was your Senate hearing. And may I say how refreshing it is to finally see you in a video with your clothing on, sir." Jarvis congratulated as he brought the video of the court viewing on screen and Tony chuckled. Tony heard the whirring of a blender and glanced over at one of his robots trying to make a smoothie. Without a blender lid.

"U!" Tony yelled as U knocked over the blender. Well, at least he tried. "I swear to God I’ll dismantle you. I’ll soak your motherboard. I’ll turn you into a wine rack."

U looked down, sad as the billionaire turned back to his main computer and started to type. He seemed a bit annoyed as he typed and spoke his question for Jarvis.

"How many ounces a day of this gobbledegook am I supposed to drink?" Tony brought the drink to his lips and started to chug back the liquid while listening to Jarvis answer.

"We are up to 80 ounces a day to counteract the symptoms, sir." Tony finished the green goo and pulled out the machine he uses to check his palladium levels, placing his thumb on the thumb pad.

"Check palladium levels." Tony took his thumb off the machine and looked down at the small blood dot, then back to his screen.

"Blood toxicity, 24%. It appears that the continued use of the Iron Man suit is accelerating your condition. Another core has been depleted." Tony lifted his shirt and began to take the Arc Reactor out of his chest. The core popped out, rusted and slightly smoking as Tony took the core out to swap it.

"God, they’re running out quick." 

"I have run simulations on every known element, and none can serve as a viable replacement for the palladium core." 

Tony input a new core and the Arc began to glow. It’s silver, giving a judgment of just how badly damaged the other one was and Tony replaced the Arc Reactor in his chest. Tony began to pant slightly as he continued to watch the screen.

"You are running out of both time and options. Unfortunately, the device that’s keeping you alive is also killing you." On the screen, Tony could see the image of his chest on the computer screen there were several blue lines all around the Arc Reactor.

"Miss Potts is approaching. I recommend that you inform her…" Tony could hear the pin on the lock pad and he released the shirt from his lips, looking up at the ceiling.

"Mute." He looked to his computer and switched the image to the screensaver, as Pepper finished putting in the code to the door. "Uh, uh." Tony uttered as he lifted the cup to his lips and Pepper entered. 

"Is this a joke? What are you thinking?" Pepper asked as she continued to walk towards him and he lowered his glass.

"What? Where's Peter?" Tony asked as he looked for his son, but didn't spot the 7 year old and Pepper stopped, crossing her arms.

"He's with Rhodey, he's sleeping at the airbase for the weekend. What are you thinking?" 

"Hey, I’m thinking I’m busy. And you’re angry about something. Do you have the sniffles? I don’t want to get sick." Tony said as he stood from his desk and started to walk around the desk, hoping to take the attention off of him. He decided to ask about Peter later, seeing as Pepper was angry and didn't want her to become angrier.

"Did you just donate…" Tony met Pepper at the other side of the table and pressed something on one of the many holo-screens.

"Keep your business." Pepper continued to follow Tony around the lab as the billionaire did stuff on his holo screens and played basketball with one of them.