Chapter 2

The best experience of Will's life was officially watching Percy and Piper attempt not to irritate every single wizard they met, while Annabeth tried to rant about every minute detail of each building they passed. Jason was the only one who looked like they had any idea of what she was saying, but even his eyes were starting to glaze over slightly.

Hermione and Luna kept catching words that they understood and would join the conversation, but then Annabeth would bring up something from Daedalus' laptop, and she'd lose them again.

It was kind of cute, really, seeing her excited. Will wasn't exactly super best buddies with her, but they were good friends, and it healed something in him to see one of the people that had always been there, the whole time he'd been at camp, acting as excitable as any child had the right to.

Their first stop was Gringotts, and Will watched as Annabeth fully lit up when they stopped in front of it. Nico grinned evilly next to him. "Tesoro.. you know how me and Jay can't swim..and Perce and I can't fly.."

"Yeah, 'course."

"Well...it may, possibly, also be true for those two underground?" Nico admitted slowly. "And Gringotts may mostly be underground? And we basically have to take a rollercoaster?"

"I see where you're going with this, but how do you know?"

"I can feel it." He tucked himself against Will's side. "When we were at camp me and Hazel have been teaching each other our powers. I've always been able to control obsidian and stuff, like in the Labyrinth with Kronos, but she's been teaching me how to sense stuff."

"Oh wow, that's really cool. You been showin' her how to shadowtravel?"

Nico nodded. "She's really good at it." He smiled proudly. "But anyways. Don't tell them about what's waiting for us, I want to see their faces."

Will chuckled and nodded. "That's fine by me. I've been waiting for you to get back at Percy for dunking you in the river for three weeks."

——

As expected, watching Jason and Percy try not to absolutely shit themselves as the little cart dropped over an edge was an absolute blessing as far as Will was concerned. He and Nico were absolutely cackling for the whole ride. The boys had immediately clung to each other as the tracks led them underground, pale as sheets.  Piper was gently charmspeaking them into calmness as the cart slowed and Harry climbed out.

Eventually Piper kind of gave up, and just put both boys to sleep, glaring at Nico. "Did you know about this?"

Nico shrugged. "Jason flew me five hundred meters up three days ago, and Percy dunked me in the lake. Turnabout is fair play."

She frowned disapprovingly, although the corners of her lips were quirked like she was trying not to smile. "An underground rollercoaster though?"

"Well I was hardly going to stick them in limbo was I?"

"Limbo?"

"You know how all shadows are connected, right? How it's all one big road that creatures of the underworld can travel on?"

She nodded slowly.

"Well I can leave them on the road if I want to."

"Really? Wouldn't your father get pissy?"

"Nah. I mean, if he ran into them then he might threaten them a bit, but he wouldn't kill my friends. Mom insists that friends are good for mortals."

Her eyebrows shot up, and she grinned. "You're calling Persephone mom now?"

His cheeks burned. "Yeah, I guess. Her and dad are looking into a way to bring mama back. Apparently the three of them were a whole thing."