Chapter 11

It had been five minutes since they'd found Slytherin's locker, and Annabeth was already ready to kill each and every person in the room.

To be clear, she wasn't affected by whatever it was that was affecting everyone else - the horcrux was her current hypothesis - they were just yelling so much about such shit that she was willing to murder all of them for a moments peace.

——

It started three days ago, one week after the dinner at the Underworld, when Draco and Nico seemed to remember the whole reason for seeing the Malfoys: Slytherin's locket. Draco relayed to the group what he'd been told, about this whole gig with Regulus Black, Sirius' half brother and an island it was hidden on. Then Draco revealed Lucius' suspicions that Regulus had been a traitor, and that the real locket was elsewhere. Eventually Annabeth, with the help of Jason, had managed to set up a reasonable trail, especially with some assistance from a couple of House Elves who were happy to pass up the information, along with two ghosts Nico bullied into helping them. They finally ended up with its current location: with Dolores Umbridge.

Even knowing what had happened with the woman the year before, Annabeth found it funny to watch the way the wizards, Draco, Nico, and Will lit up with the opportunity to break into her house and steal from her. Ten years ago, she would've said Will Solace would never do something like that, would never steal, or plan to completely fuck up someone's house, but then she'd seen him give orders to steal from a pharmacy, calm Clarisse down with a hand on her arm, and yell at Nico di Angelo in the prime of the kid's "I am gloom and doom, fear me!" Phase. These days the guy had as much a fearsome reputation as his fiancé, especially after chewing Nico out for doing stupid shit at every given occasion, despite the minor cult following he'd amassed in the younger campers. One time she'd had to send a thirteen year old daughter of Hecate to see him after she'd gashed open her leg in a knife fighting class, and the girl had insisted it was fine, and that Will Solace was way too scary, she'd rather chance stitching it up herself. She'd only relented when Annabeth had promised she'd stand guard the whole time. Granted that had been the day after Will had chased Nico through the whole camp, yelling about how "you can't raise the dead to stop me from finding you when you're injured, you dick!". Everybody had been terrified of him for weeks.

Anyways, the plan was quickly developed, with the chaotic influence of the Weasley twins, who Annabeth quickly learned were Hogwarts' response to the Stoll brothers. Ron had immediately roped them into helping them get the locket, and the twins had been happy to help, especially with the chance to shadow travel every time they were needed, because obviously, just like Percy, they were complete adrenaline junkies.

They spent the next two days scheming and planning for the heist, as Harry and Seamus had started calling it. It started out simple: Nico would shadowtravel them into Umbridge's house, they'd split up, Nico would make sure they weren't seen, and they'd search until they found the locket, and then they'd leave. It evolved into Nico shadowtravelling them into the house, Dean and Luna making sure Umbridge didn't wake up through less than legal use of magic, running riot through her house whilst trying to find the locket and destroying everything the came across in the process.

What actually happened, was Nico shadow travelled them into her house, him and Piper instantly got high off the effects of the horcrux, and managed to hunt it down in a similar fashion to him and Annabeth in the Room of Lost Thing whilst the rest of them completely ransacked Umbridge's house - Annabeth's personal pride and joy was the meticulous bleaching Hermione, Ginny, Seamus, and she carried out on every pink item they could find - before Nico dragged them back through the shadows whilst loudly demanding somebody hand him his cat.

It only got worse from there, really.

For starters, Jason and Percy started yelling at each other. Not that they didn't bicker constantly, but they didn't actually fight often, and even when they did they couldn't bear to stop touching each other for long, they tended to sit apart with their fingers linked while Piper and Annabeth got them to talk about whatever the real problems were, but when they stumbled back into the training room - seriously, high Nico had zero shadow travelling precision - they quickly moved apart, and the room became humid and began to smell of ozone, as they yelled at each other, dragging shit up from before the war, from before they'd gotten together, even from stupid little arguments long solved, all while Percy clutched tighter and tighter to the locket he'd taken from Nico.