Chapter 12

Even after an evening of apologising and making up, Percy still felt guilty as shit, and a little hurt. He knew he'd meant none of what he said, at least, he didn't mean it anymore, but he knew that if Jason was feeling as shitty about him bringing up Nico as Percy was about the accusation that he'd get bored of a normal life and try to find some shit to insert himself in after a year, then they probably still had a lot to talk about.

He decided he was going to be the one to tell Nico what had been said. At least then Jason wouldn't feel guilty if he decided to beat the shit out of Percy. Nico didn't even glare at him though, just retreated into Will's arms slightly. "I..I'm..I guess I'm mad that you've upset Jason." He replied finally, minutes after Percy had finished relaying their argument. "But he's also upset you, so I'll let you guys work that one out yourselves. I just..I thought..I suppose I thought you trusted me a bit more than that." He said miserably. "I mean it's one think to think Jason has a thing for me, and another thing to think that I'd take him up on it just because he looks a bit like my fiancé. I thought we were past you evaluating everything I said and did."

Aw shit.

"I don't- I don't think Jay would leave us. I don't. I wasn't even serious when I suggested it the first time, I was just jealous, I guess. And I do trust you. I swear I do, Neeks. I just..I don't always get what he sees in me, is all. I know now, but I didn't used to get it. The locket just brought up things I'd gotten over, okay?"

Nico eyed him suspiciously. "Okay. I guess. Now I need you to think about this for a minute, and really process what I'm about to say, so this doesn't happen again. Jason thinks of me as the little brother that he needs to stop from burning the world down, and you as the hot bad boy that he'd hand the matches to just so he could watch the reflection of the flames in your eyes, understood? Trust me, he's said those exact words. A million times."

Percy blushed. "I understand. Do you..do you know why he thinks I'd get bored of being settled down after a year?"

"Simple." Nico tugged a wrist bracer out of the shadows and started wrapping it around his left arm carefully. "He's got plans for the next few years, and you're in all of them. He doesn't want to travel the world by himself to earn the esteem of the gods, he wants to drag you and Annabeth and Piper to every single beautiful place he can find, and come home to you. He's a planner. Annabeth's a planner. They can compare notes. Your lack of ideas for the future scares him, because he can never be certain that he's in them."

"So.. what you're saying is that I need to propose?"

"No-" Nico paused, eyes wide. "Actually yes. That's exactly what you need to do. As soon as this thing is over, I'll help you go ring shopping."

Will nodded seriously. "For now, go tell him he's an idiot and that you love him. Maybe wear his SPQR hoodie."

He blinked in confusion. "Why?"

"For the same reason Nico wears my ramones t shirt when he's about to tell me he's done something stupid, it's adorable, and I can't say no to him." Will made a shooing motion. "Now go get your man."

——

Percy found Jason in their dorm, sprawled out on the bed with Piper.

"I do trust him." Jason was saying, unable to see Percy yet. "I know he's happy with us. I don't think he'll gallivant off to be the hero. Hell if some god showed up on our door asking for help he'd tell them to fuck off and slam the door in their face."

Piper smiled at him. "So what are you worried about then?"

He sighed. "I..I want to get married. I think. Hera..mom..she says she's found an ancient law that will allow her to bless the union of Hades, 'Seph, and Maria. It just got me thinking I guess. I know where Anna stands with that. I know where you stand on that. Perce is just so..I can never get him to talk to me about what he wants. I can't say for certain what he thinks about it, and it scares me."