Chapter 10

Harry had never been more terrified in his life. Maria di Angelo was frowning at him from where she was perched on Hades' lap, and Persephone, sat next to them, was glaring just as, if not more, fiercely. The pair looked ready the send his soul straight to a Punishment if he didn't convince them he was worthy of Draco.

——

He'd been fretting about the dinner in the underworld since the second he got the invite, wondering how in the hell he was supposed to convince Hades that he was good enough for his grandson. Then it had come to light that it wasn't Hades he needed to impress, the god trusted his son's judgement and had met Harry a few times, but it was actually Persephone, who had seemed so lovely.

Then Nico had had a minor freak out about the return of his mother, Maria di Angelo, and afterwards had confided that Maria might be just as harsh as Persephone.

Harry had spent the rest of January in a constant state of mid level panic, despite the pep talks from Annabeth and the hugs from Will and the big brother teasing from Percy. Even Draco couldn't help, seeing as it was dating Draco that got him into this whole mess in the first place.

Jason kind of helped by reminding him that his and Annabeth's parents were basically Poseidon's biggest rivals, and the two of them attended dinners with the god, along with Piper and Percy, fairly often, and they hadn't been smited, but Harry couldn't help but think that the Queen of the Dead might be a bit harsher than Percy Jackson's dad.

When the day had come for them to take the journey, Harry had woken up in a cold sweat, convinced he wasn't going to leave the underworld alive. Eventually Will had been summoned, and he'd just raised an eyebrow at Harry, like, you were almost murdered in front of your mother's corpse when you were one, then you killed a dude with your hands at eleven, then killed a basilisk at twelve, then freed a guy who'd supposedly killed your parents at thirteen, then killed a dragon and faced Voldemort at fourteen and you're afraid of your boyfriends grandparents?? It should've been impossible to convey that much in a single expression, but Harry had seen lots of things be set in motion by Will glancing at someone. Once the group had been napping by the Lake, and Will had just made eye contact with Piper before the two started running towards the lake, yelling at Percy to make them waved as they cast spells to imitate surfboards. Another time, the corner of his lips had twitched down when Nico glanced between the bottle of firewhiskey on the sideboard in the training room, and the pot of coffee in Percy's hands, and Will and Nico just kept looking at each other with minor adjustments to their expressions, before Nico had yelled "you're unbelievable" and walked out. Will seemed to be an expert in conveying everything he wanted with a single look.

Once Will had managed to shame Harry into showering and brushing his hair with the power of his eyebrows, the real insecurities had kicked in. The girls told him that Will had gone back to get changed and to grab clothes for him, and when Nico and Will came to pick him up, they looked like they were ready to take over the world or attend some celebrity only award ceremony. Probably both in one night, he was sure they could manage it. Nico was wearing a black on black suit like he'd been born to wear one, all dark eyes and a dark smile, while Will looking like someone had designed his navy jacket and trousers explicitly to show off every well trained muscle the demigod. Harry was so glad his type was simply Draco Malfoy, because he could see from Seamus' face that if he was any more susceptible to attractive people, he'd simply stop functioning.

Then Draco Malfoy came in, in a silver grey suit that Harry could've sworn was flickering with lightning and shifting like clouds, looking absolutely incredible. In an effort to control the flush that he was sure was flooding his cheeks, he looked back to Will and Nico, noticing that Nico's suit seemed to be leeching the light out of the air in the same way his sword did, whilst the blue of Will's was shifting gradually, warming all the way to mid July clear, then cooling to dawn in February, before sinking bank to the navy it had been at first. Inevitably, his gaze was drawn back to Draco, who was smiling brightly at him.