Chapter 4

Jack's  POV
I start working on the new project immediately. I view the files for the construction of the new mall and realize that some documents are missing. I call my secretary to my office. Gary comes after five minutes. I request a glass of water. He goes over to the small table containing  glasses and a jug of water. I ask about the missing documents. Suddenly, a crash is heard. I look up to see that Gary has dropped the glass on the floor. He looks pale as a sheet with his mouth hanging open like a fish. I say, "is there anything you would like to tell me?"
He stutters, "I... I..".
"Yes ".
" I have never seen this file in my life ".
I look at him with anger and respond, "that's  weird because if I remember correctly you were the one who kept the file to photocopy the documents. The same documents which are missing  and were used by Cain in the meeting ".
He gives no response. I can see the sweat beading on his forehead. He is looking at the floor,  which is covered with glass from the  cup and spilt coffee. " Well Gary is there something you would like to add ",I ask him.
He sways on his feet and falls on the broken glass. I quickly get up from my seat and move towards him. He is bleeding from his leg where he fell on the glass.The cut is deep,  he will  need to go to the hospital. I call the company driver to my office. Together we lift Gary and get him to the car. I sit shotgun while Gary is laid on the backseat.
We reach the hospital in ten minutes. Gary is taken by the medical team

Alice's POV
I get call from emergency to assess a patient for aplastic anemia. I grab my stethoscope and start walking. I reach the patient. He is a middle aged man lying on the bed. He is extremely pale and is bleeding from gums. If a vamp were to drink his blood they would get even more thirsty than before possibly even a infection. Even though we don't get sick at all.
I am reading the blood reports when I can feel the  presence of my mate near me. I look around me and see Jack.
He has a big blood stain on his white shirt. I use my powers to move everyone out of my way as I rush towards my husband . He doesn't look hurt, he's simply standing there looking at his phone as I nearly have a heart attack in my non-functioning heart. He looks up from his phone as I reach him.I must be looking shell shocked. I can't even get any words out. He raises his hands and says, "I'm fine, this blood is not mine ". I let out a breath of air and feel myself calming down. I ask him what happened to him. My voice doesn't sound normal even to my own ears. I sound like a human. I don't even have to  pretend to be like one. He smiles and places his hands on my shoulders and guides me to the chairs in the waiting room.He holds my ice cold hands in his warm colossal ones rubbing circles on my knuckles. Oh, how much I love him. "There was a slight accident in my office. Gary fainted and landed on broken glass. This blood is his,not mine".
"Oh, how terrible. Why did he faint? He lost so much blood". So much wonderful red and juicy blood, she thought.
"It's weird, I was just asking about the new project files and he fainted".
I look at him and see he is thinking the same thing as me. It was Gary who gave Cain the files. He sabotaged Jack's project. He will pay for this treason against my mate.
When Jack has left, I go to see Gary. He is lying on the bed with an I/V hooked on his left arm. His eyes are closed. I read his file. A smile blooms upon my lips as I read about his allergy to penicillin. Perfect, just perfect. I see the name of his physician, Dr. Sandra Day.
I enter the doctor's office and see her sitting on her chair. She smiles warmly when she sees me.
" Dr. Miller, what a pleasant surprise",she greets me. Oh what a surprise it will be. I make small talk about my patients, then ask about Gary.
"He's in perfect condition, only a cut on his leg", she tells me.
I use my allure on her, watching as her eyes gloss over. She can't resist the pull of my over. I use my words to guide her. "Wouldn't it be better to give him a shot of antibiotics just to be safe. A shot of penicillin, perhaps".
She immediately calls the nurse and asks her to patient on bed 12 a shot of penicillin. The nurse makes a confused face. She is thinking about his allergy record. I use a bit of my power and she readily agrees to give him twice the recommended dose. I make use of my allure once more to make them forget about this. In their mind I came here to talk about my own patient diagnosed with aplastic anemia.
Three hours later, the news reaches me about death of a patient with anaphylactic shock. An inquiry has been started by the hospital administration. The doctor and nurse both deny any involvement. A meeting is held with the senior faculty members to teach all the doctors, interns and nurses about hazards of antibiotics and allergic reactions. A hospital policy is formed to give a test
dose of  0.2ml penicillin to all patients.
Finally, my shift ends and I take my leave. I arrive at my home first and change out of my clothes. I clean the house using my super speed to vacuum the whole house in only forty minutes. I still have time so I get started on laundry. The machine takes so much time so I start making dinner. Hmm I'm in the mood for meat so I start making beef steaks with barbecue sauce. I also bake a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting.

When Jack gets home, I am putting the finishing touches on my cake. He gives me a kiss and goes to change clothes. I am setting the table, when he comes from behind me a hugs me. A light giggle escapes me. We sit down and have dinner. I need to know if he knows about Gary's death.
"So, how was your day "?
"Long and tiring, I had to start from scratch and print those documents again. I also complained about Gary to HR. I'll have to get a new secretary. I can't work with Gary after this".
"Will you fire him"?
"No, I don't want the man to lose his job.He'll just work with someone else.I don't want to do anything with him anymore".
I can never have this much sympathy. Must be a part of being human . He asks me if anything interesting happened today at the hospital. Oh, if only he hnew.
"Well a patient died by allergic reaction to a medicine. Now, we have a new policy for antibiotics administration".
We finish dinner when I bring out the dessert. His eyes light up seeing the cake. He eagerly reaches for the knife and cuts a big piece. He takes a bite and moans in delight.
"Did I tell you I love you "?, he says between bites.
"You might have mentioned it a bit".
"Well I do".
"When did you even bake this? "
"When I was doing laundry".
"You did laundry today as well as cleaning the whole house?  How can you do so much in one day? ", he asks in disbelief.
"It's nothing. I had a bit of time ".
He still looks incredulous. I realize I may have done more work than humanly possible. Oh Dracula,  why do I forget this.He gently grabs my hand and looks at me carefully.
"I don't want you to exert yourself too much and get sick. I don't care if there is dirty laundry and dishes staked as high as sky in the sink. I just want you to be healthy ".
I laugh little, but he still looks so serious.
"I promise hun, I'll control myself the next time".
He still looks unconvinced. I have to be careful if I want to keep my vampire life a secret from him. I want to tell him the truth but fear stops me every time. I don't want to lose him.