Chapter 6

Alice POV
I make a few sandwiches for dinner and set the table. I want to work on my treatment plan for a patient but I feel very tired. I am yawning so much that Jack suggests I go to sleep. That's weird, I don't usually feel like this. I am not thirsty for blood, I drank two pints of fresh blood yesterday. I can't keep my eyes open for long so I give up and lay down in my bed.I close my eyes and fall asleep instantly.
I am walking with my boyfriend David on a road.  There is not a single person on the road, we keep walking aimlessly through the night. The path is very dark, there is no light other than the moonlight. There are huge trees around the road, there branches look like fingers ready to grab us at any moment. I keep walking alongside David, I want to get away from this place, away from him. I keep stumbling in my heels but Davud drags me along. His fingers are hurting me, they are digging in the bruises on my arm. I was so close this time, I was going to catch a bus out of this town tonight. I was spotted leaving the party by Lee, David's best friend. He grabbed my arm and dragged me to David. I should have fought harder, screamed louder, called the police. Alas, there is no use now.
I am soon lost in memories. I was working as waitress at the local diner, when I first saw him. He looked like a model, wearing a green shirt with jeans, clean shaved and hair styled with gel.He was laughing at a joke his friends made when he saw me and smiled a sweet smile. Now I know that smile is reserved for every new girl in his life. A few weeks later, we were dating and he asked me to move in with him.I thought he was my happily ever after. The physical and verbal abuse began shortly after that. If I could, I would slap some sense in that naive girl . I steal a glance at him and see wrinkled dirty clothes ,unkept hair ,cruel eyes and a hard mouth.
We are near our apartment block when a scream cuts the silence of the night. We look in front of us and see a man clutching his neck and screaming. He is bleeding profusely. He extends a hand towards us, takes a step forward and falls on the road. Dead. Suddenly a loud laugh is heard from behind us. David pushes me away and starts to run towards the apartment building. A man wearing black clothes tackles him to the ground and bites into his neck. I am shocked by this sight, I want to run away but I can't move my legs. David is thrashing around and screaming, but the man does not release him. The man uses his hands to grab David's neck and breaks it with a crack. The man gets up and moves towards me, I can see his glowing red eyes, pointed white teeth and mouth covered with blood. The blood is dripping from his chin, he uses his tongue to clean it. He grabs my chin with his cold bloody hands and moves my face to the right to expose my neck. My body remembers to fight, I use my hands to push him away from me. He just throws his head back and laughs.
"Don't worry, I won't kill you girlie". Hope blooms in my chest but it is quickly crushed by his next words.
"I'll just keep you forever baby ".
With that he bites my neck and injects me with poison. I feel severe pain in my neck. It radiates from my neck to my toes. It feels like a fire has been lit inside me. I hear someone screaming, it takes me a moment to realize that it is my voice.
I gasp and open my eyes to see I am laying in my bed. It's been years since I dreamt about that horrible night. I was trying to escape from one monster and got captured by another. Some people would say I myself have become a monster.