Andy

It was the laughter that Andy noticed first. It was all around her, dancing like rain and singing like birds, high and giddy and glittery the sound of it. It spun all around her in a place she did not recognize, a place with no name, a place with no words, a place with nothing but her, and the laughter. Was she even Andy? Was she even a person? She did not know these things, but she was sure she once did.

The laughter spun faster and faster and faster, getting brighter and higher and glitterier with each moment, spinning out of control before everything twisted itself into familiar shapes.

She was in her bedroom, sitting on the floor, staring at the broken toy in her hands and absolutely wailing. She had broken it with her hands on accident, and could not for the life of her figure out how to fix it.

The door opened and her young mother bustled in, scooping Andy up and helping her with the toy, cooing to her toddler, who clutched her shirt confused. She was not unhappy, but why was she here?

She heard the whisperings of two unfamiliar voices, one male one female... or did she? They were just on the outside of what she knew... maybe there was nothing at all.

She turned back to her mother, explaining what was wrong with the toy, being bounced on her mother's hip again and loved like a child.

She blinked. When her eyes flickered open, she was staring up at the stars. Moments later she recognized that her mother and father were there, hands on her itty bitty shoulders, telling her the names of all these stars and the constellations they belonged to. They told her about Andromeda, the legend behind it, and about her aunt. The sea air from the San Diego coast coated her throat in salty familiarity, making her feel warm despite the cold and at peace with the world around her. To be a child was everything.

Just on the outskirts of her hearing she heard the whispering voices again, but she could not see where they were coming from.

She opened her eyes and found herself in a van, face wet with tears. Her mother was reaching into the back seat to rub her knee and comfort her. It was going to be alright, she said. You'll make friends in Arcadia, she said. Steve is there, you like hanging out with Steve.

It was true, she did like hanging out with Steve. But it did not change the fact she was leaving her forever home of San Diego and driving hours up north to live in Central California, away from everything she knew and loved. She stared out the window forlornly, 11 and full of angst.

Andromeda.

Her head snapped up, and she looked about wildly, swinging her head so fast some tears went flying. Who had said that?

It was the first day of sixth grade, and Andy was not ready for it. She walked unsteadily into her homeroom class and sat next to a young girl with shoulder length black hair and brown eyes. She was taking selfies on a real cell phone, and Andy was immediately jealous but did nothing to show so. The girl looked over at Andy and told her that her name was Mary, what was her name?

Oh, I'm Andy.

Isn't that a boy's name?

No, not my name. It's short for Andromeda.

Oh, I like that. It's pretty.

Thank you! There was a moment of awkward silence. I like your phone.

She looks up, smiling. Thank you! I just got it last week for my twelfth birthday!

Oh, happy birthday!

Thank you! Would you like to take a selfie with me to see how it works?

She blushed nervously. Yeah, if it's not too much trouble?