prologue

"Life went on, But it was never the same again."
-david jones

beautiful storms | prologue

SLOWLY the downpour begins to intensify. It roughly hits against the sidewalk sending a gush of rain onto Jude's shoes. He notices people around him and watches as they tilt their heads up and some pull their hoods up and others open their umbrellas and putting them above their heads. Rain starts to fill the streets and he tries to hold in a snicker when a speeding car sends an ungodly amount of water onto a few passersby.

The rain droplets trickle onto Jude's face as he tilts his head to the sky and he lets the rain wash away his tears. His gray hoodie turns dark from the contact of the rain. He brushes his hoodie from his head. He stuffs his hands into his pockets and he steps into the indents of the sidewalk that quickly fills up with the clear liquid.

He sees houses come into view and his hands clench into fists as it gets closer to Hayes's house. Hayes's car wasn't in the driveway and Jude sighs in relief. He takes out his keys from his pocket and once he reaches the door he unlocks it.

He's met with silence as he walks in and he pulls his hoodie over his head. His eyes close and he takes breathes in then out. He forces his feet to move away from the front door and he makes his way to the hallway where his bedroom is. He suddenly hears crying and he glances at the door next to his with a look of pity. The door is slightly cracked open and his heart breaks at the sight in front of him.

"Sadie?"

His hand hovers over the door before he pushes it open and he sees his sister, Sadie. She had pictures spread over her bed and she shakily holds one in her hand. She meets his broken stare with teary eyes. Tears fall down her cheeks as she stares up at Jude and she clenches the picture in her hand.

"I miss her."

Jude watches her movements with a ghost of a smile. He doesn't say a word as he shuts the door before he sits next to her on her bed. She scoots over a bit and he gets a peek of the picture in her grip.

"I miss her too."

Sadie leans her head on Jude's shoulder and he picks up a picture of him and his mother on his 10th birthday. He smiles before picking up another picture and this time it's Sadie and him at the park that was near their old house. Their joyful faces make Jude smile and he places both pictures down before he reaches for the picture in Sadie's hand. She hesitates at first but she gives it to him. Her blonde hair falls in her face and she pushes it behind her shoulders.

Jude stares down at the picture, it was a younger version of their mother and she looked so happy and carefree.

"Do you think she made it into Heaven?"

Jude turns to her and he kisses her forehead tenderly.

"Yeah, I think so."