chapter five | jude

*MATURE CONTENT WARING*

"Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely."

– Buddha

beautiful storms | chapter five

8 Months ago

How does one deal with death?

How does one deal with a broken heart?

The sunset as Jude parks his father's car into the driveway. He turns to Sadie who was sleeping in the passenger seat and he lightly smiles. Jude has never been one to be out late but the movie went longer than expected. He turns off the headlights of the car and he takes off his seatbelt and he reaches for Sadie's unbuckling her. He gently pats her head and her nose scrunches up, she opens her eyes, glaring at him.

"Go away." She closes her eyes but Jude pokes her in the nose and he pokes her cheek, one by one.

"I will bite your finger off, you shit."

"Mom, wouldn't want you talking like that."

Sadie opens her eyes and Harshly pushes Jude away from her.

"Get out of the car," Sadie grumbles.

Jude opens the car door and gets out the car, Sadie follows his movements and she follows him to the front door. Jude holds up the keys in his hand and locks the car. The car lets out two loud noises before silencing. They make it to the front door and Jude unlocks the door. A brush of cold air hit his skin and he felt a lump form in his throat when he saw a trail of blood and he and Sadie followed it.

"Mom? Dad?"

"Sadie, stay by the door."

Jude steps in a puddle of blood as he tries to reach for the light switch to the living room and he flips it up, lighting the room. He sucks in a breath when he sees the sight in front of him.

"Mom?!"

His heart breaks. He tries not to cry as he rushes towards her but the tears start to fall so quickly. He falls to his knees in front of her. The crimson blood drips from his hands as he lifts her up in his arms. His hands shake as he rubs his thumb over her pale cheek.

"Mom?" Sadie comes from the door and she stands in front of them frozen where she stood. Jude shakily brings two of his fingers to her neck to check her pulse and he barely feels one. They both let out a shaky breath.

"Call 911."

"What about Dad?"

"Call 911, Sadie!?"

Jude whips his head to her and he glares at her. She nods before getting her phone from her back pocket.

Jude lifts his mom in his arms and he lays her down on the couch.

Then suddenly, a flash and a horrendous noise tear through the air and chills go through Jude's body.

"Dad."

He runs to where the sound comes from and he follows the sound of heavy breathing to his parents' room. The door creaks as he slowly enters, he sucks in a breath as he looks at the scene in front of him. Blood was scattered everywhere and he let out a heartbreaking scream when he saw his Dad. He drops to his knees and his body goes rigid, he can't stop shaking.

He touches his face which was covered in blood and he tries to avoid touching the bullet hole in his head. He lets the tears fall.

"Jude, they're on the w-."

"He killed himself. He killed her." He whispers the words that stop him from breathing. Jude reaches out his hand and covers his father's eyes and he closes them.

"Goodbye, dad."

"They're here." Sadie touches Jude's shoulder and he flinches, pulling away from her.

The sound of sirens fill the air and Jude makes his way outside as the ambulance arrives, the red and blue lights fill his vision and he closes his eyes. He clenches his fists and he felt if someone punched into his chest and ripped out his heart. He let the tears fall and he didn't wipe them away.

Two ambulances stop in front of his house followed by the police and the first responders get out from the back. A police officer stops in front of him and she watches as the paramedics come out of his house with hidden faces as they pull his father and mother's bodies out. Bloody sheets cover their bodies. The police officer finally speaks and breaks the silence between them.

"Do you have anyone to call?"

Jude nods but he doesn't say a word.

How does one deal with death?

How does one deal with a broken heart?

He lets the tears fall and as they do, he looks down at his hands as if they were still covered in blood. He lifts them up to the ceiling and the moonlight shines down on them. He intertwined his fingers and he pulled them to his chest.

"Why'd you have to take her away from us?"

He thinks of his father for the first time in months and he feels the same way he did when he found him dead in his parents' room. He turns to his side and he grabs his phone from his nightstand. The light from the phone almost blinds him.

"Hello? Jude?-- It's nearly 12 in the morning."

"C-Cara."

He hears movement on the other line and he places the phone near his ear.

"Are you okay?--what happened?"

Have you ever thought about dying? Have you ever felt so broken that you just couldn't be strong anymore?

He sits up in his bed and he shivers when his bare back touches the cold wood. He sniffs and rubs his nose.

"I just wanted to talk to you."

"Oh okay...what did you want to talk about?-- Are you sure you're okay?-- You sound sad."

"Do you think pain stays with people forever?" He asks.

"Pain never goes away, Jude, it just lessens and once in a while it will come back in a big tidal wave." She answers, tiredness in her voice. Her voice goes in and out.

"But it truly depends if you're willing to let the pain go. Are you ready to let that pain go and be happy, Jude?"

Are you ready to let that pain go and be happy, Jude?

"I'm ready."

"Good."

Jude smiles slightly and he decides to let Cara go back to sleep, he didn't want to hold her up for much longer.