chapter twenty-nine | sadie

"We have calcium in our bones, iron in our veins, carbon in our souls, and nitrogen in our brains. 93 percent stardust with souls made of flames, we are all just stars that have people's names."

- Nikita Gill

beautiful storms | chapter twenty-nine

Sadie hasn't cut in weeks since starting therapy and they were healing. She knew that it would take more than just therapy to help her; it took time. She rubs them softly as she waits for Jude to pick her up. She sits on the sidewalk. She wants to feel the sun on her skin.

She listens to her music which calms her. Her shoulder slump forwards and she taps on her jeans. She has only been waiting for about a few minutes. Her grandmother's car pulls up in front of her and she stands up, reaching for the door handle.

She opens it not seeing Jude but her grandmother. She gets in and shuts the door behind her.

"Where's Jude?" She asks as she puts on her seatbelt and she turns to her.

" I told him to stay home because I wanted to speak to you."

"Since Jude is leaving for college soon, I was wondering if you wanted to go to Portland for the summer and visit your father's side of the family since you haven't seen them since your parents passed." She tells her.

"I wouldn't mind seeing them."

Sadie sits the suitcase her grandmother gave her on her bed and then she begins to pack her stuff inside of it. There's a knock on her room door and she turns around seeing her grandmother, carrying a seasoned notebook in her hands.

"I found this in Hayes's closest."

She hands Sadie the notebook and she closes the suitcase before sitting down on the bed. She sits the journal in her lap. It was her mother's notebook from high school and she opens it to the first page and she reads through the pages, wanting to get closer to her mother.

"Thank you." Her grandmother smiles before leaving and shutting the door behind her.

The journal pages were filled with her mother's full high school experience and everything about Hayes. Sadie reads on and she couldn't help but tear up as she reads her mother's first experience with Hayes to her last. Sadie wipes her tears away as they fall but they wouldn't stop. She shuts the notebook and she throws it into her suitcase. She sighs, running a hand through her hair.

Jude pokes Sadie's cheek as she sits on his bed. She glances over to him as he attempts to play his guitar.

"I watched some videos on how to read the notes." He tells her and he plays a note.

"So grandpa was a musician?"

"Yeah, she said he played at a lot of gigs or bars when he was younger then he stopped after mom and Hayes were born."

Sadie returns to her book and she flips the pages.

"Aren't you supposed to return those books soon?" He tells her and she nods.

"Do you want me to take you to return them?"

Sadie watches as Jude talks to Cara as they talk in the living room about college and their roommates. She was happy that he found someone for him and that that person was Cara Jenkins. The kind-hearted Cara Jenkins. The angel. Their mom would be proud of Jude.

Sadie sits down on the other couch and their grandmother sits down next to her with a bowl of popcorn and Sadie steals some when she isn't looking and Jude chuckles, catching her.